Will this work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

new_fish_guy86

Reaction score
I am getting a 55 gal tank :hyper: and wanted to know if this is a good communtiy.

10 tiger barbs
3 black tetras
3 flame or black phantom tetras
4 lyertail mollies
2 swordtails
1 plecostamus

Is this a good community what should i add or take away? :blink:

Tiger barbs are best for a species tank. Someone will always say they don't have any troubles with them, but sooner or later........ Specially with ten of them! Silver Dollars are a good choice for this size tank. Very peaceful fish that grow large enough to be easily watched and avoid being picked on.

In general, I'd go either with or without the Barbs. They can be aggressive toward other fish. Most community fish tend to be most peaceful in a common enviornment. When pairing fast moving semi-aggressive fish with slower moving peaceful fish can cause certian peaceful fish to be singled out and picked on up unitl death. As was the case when I fish got bards and f :alien: ound out the hard way so long ago. If your new, play it safe.

If you have to have tigerbarbs the my advise would be to get as many as possible so that they become preoccupied with beating on each other and leave other tank mates alone,but imo tigers are not suitable for community set ups,because of there tendency to nip they also put serious limitations on future tankmates no long finned or peace loving fish and no soft leaved plants.

I based my whole tank setup with fish compatible with tiger barbs like tetras and mollies. I was thinking about getting guppies instead of swordtails though.

Just a word on tiger barbs..

I had six tiger barbs kill two Piranahs on time. And they were introduced to the Piranah tank! The RBP were only two inches long....but still, I have a grudging respect for how annoying they can be to tank mates. They are aptly named.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back