Will This Community Work?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MarkR

Reaction score
I have just posted a thread in Tropical chat, thought I would put the link here for all the Betta experts and advise me is this will work.

My Fish thread

Thanks in advance. :)

I have posted in your topic in the tropical chit chat. Also those fish that you wanted to put in there most of them aren't compatible so why don't you just make it a species tank and have only female bettas in the tank. Or if you don't want to do that then just leave the female bettas out and get those other fish. Also I would advise you not to get any tetras except the harquliens because all other tetras once they feel safe they won't move around and they will just sit there and look all boring because they won't move around.

this is probly a bit off topic for the betta board but i have 3 types of tetera in my tank and they are great and real fun and are active all day but markr you could have a big school of one type of tetra,it looks great believe me,id love to have a big school of cardinals. :D

Well my black tetras hide all the time since they feel safe because when I first got them they swam all over the tank really fast in a school and now they still stay together but they just sit around, they are really boring and I will never get black tetras again nor will I get x-ray tetras or red eyed tetras because they also just sit around and the x-ray tetras won't even come out of hiding to eat they only eat if I turn the light off. :/

Durbkat, just because you think your tetras are lazy doesn't mean every tetra is going to act like yours. My friend has longfinned black skirted tetras and they are the most active fish in her tank, I myself have white-skirted tetras in my tank and they are also very active, and I've had them for over 2 years. Mine are in with a female betta and they do great, the betta will chase them a bit sometimes but they don't seem to mind, there are no nipped fins. I think it would be fine to try the tetras with the female bettas, as long as you have LOTS of cover (plants) for the bettas to hide in.

MarkR, is your tank cycled? You said it had been set up for 2 weeks but you never indicated whether it was cycled or not.

Sorry I was just going by my personal experience and what wilder and some other people have said about how there are boring.

Sorry I was just going by my personal experience and what wilder and some other people have said about how there are boring.

No need to be sorry, I was just said that because I didn't want MarkR to not consider tetras, and thought I'd give him a 2nd opinion on them. I agree though, compared to other fish, tetras don't have a whole lot of personality, but they do make a tank "busy looking" because of their schooling.

are you sure you want female bettas in a 50g? it seems an awfully big tank for a sorority--not that they won't appreciate it. but bettas typically aren't very active (in my experience) unless they're busy investigating a "threat" to their territory.

have you looked into getting rainbow fish? they're a group of schooling species that are incredibly colorful (once they settle into a tank) and range from 2" to 6" in size. they're quite active but also peaceful.

also, any school of fish is going to be more active in a larger tank; some fish like to school tighter than others and loose schooling fish aren't going to have much space beyond the limits of the school in a small tank.

My tank is cycled and will be ready for fish on Saturday. I dont know what fish to add first and also how many should I add? :unsure:

My 7 females live in a 30g along with my syno angelicus, 3 cories, 1 angel, 1 peach spot plec and 2 striped doras. They all get along well. No probs at all. Although I did remove some danios from there very early on as they are fin nippers and always got to the food well b4 anyone else did. Eventually the doras will move out but they're both still very young and small.
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

trending

Back