Will This Be To Much Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

targett

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ive desided against a strip light and bought 3 lamp holders and 3 daylight 30w bulbs (cheaper option lol) for my 3ft long tank, one at either end and one in the middle. Will this be to much light? As i dont want an alge out break because ive been lucky so far and have had no alge.

Thanks

What's the tank volume and what else is in there as far as live plants and fish?

Its a 28gallon tank with 5 small java fern plants, java moss on 3 large bits of bogwood, 1 amazon sword, 2 others which im not sure the name of. I will be adding more plants though. I have 11 tiger barbs and 1 red tailed black shark in there

Energy saver daylight bulbs or incandescent filament?  Heat generated by incandescent bulbs and raising water temps as a result will encourage algae growth,

Well, in short, it's not too much light, per se, but, I'd maybe be mindful of how long per day you have them on and also the distribution of the light. A long tube provides a good even distribution over the whole length of the tank but bulbs are a bit different in that the light radiates from a much smaller point.

Are these bulbs specific to aquatic use or are they just normal household bulbs? Does it say anything about the colour temperature?

There energy saving light bulbs, this is a copy and paste...

Modern, rapid start, compact Energy Saver Full Spectrum Daylight (6500K) colour white bulbs. Available in 30w Mini 5U shape (BC or ES), Spiral 23w & 18w (BC or ES or SES) and Candle 11w (SES). They are rated at a typical life of 10,000 hours.

I have the 30w mini 5u

Yeah, I agree, I think you will be just fine with them. I was thinking just normal household bulbs and as Kirky said, heat might have been an issue with them.

Let us know how it goes and let us see some pics of your setup once installed. 

fm1978 said:
Yeah, I agree, I think you will be just fine with them. I was thinking just normal household bulbs and as Kirky said, heat might have been an issue with them.

Let us know how it goes and let us see some pics of your setup once installed.
Great stuff, yes ill post some pics. Bits should be here by friday so hopefully if i get time ill do it over the weekend

Well the parts arrived earlier than expected so i did it today after work. Its loads brighter than before, afew pics for you all to see below. Youll have to excuse the lid its alittle dirty lol, i scratched the paint off under screws to earth it all.

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/targett1/media/image_zps655d25c0.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=136873600&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/targett1/media/image_zpscbfdd1d6.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=136873600&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

A quick pic of the tank, im going to be rescaping it over the next few weeks

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/targett1/media/image_zps683269ac.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back