Will they get eaten?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If they are half the size of the adults they should be fine. Feed the adults well before adding the babies so the adult fish are less likely to see the babies as food.

Age has nothing to do with a fish's size. If the fish hasn't been fed well, had enough water changes, or lived in a tiny tank, it could be old and small.

When I was helping out at the factory, the boss had a 6ft tank with some baby rainbowfish in. Turned out they were nearly a year old but were less than 1 inch long (including tail). They were stunted from lack of food.

When I first got the fry, I didn't know that they needed so much food. I have a feeling they are probably stunted from lack of food, and the fact that the 10g doesn't have a lot of room to swim.

If the other fish are of the same size as the mother, they should be okay with others. Usually, with this size, they should be okay. Unless, you've got some predator fish in there as well.
With platies it differs wether an adult will eat fry or not. There's really not a 100% guarantee what they will do. At my place, the adults leave the fry completely alone.

If the other fish are of the same size as the mother, they should be okay with others. Usually, with this size, they should be okay. Unless, you've got some predator fish in there as well.
With platies it differs wether an adult will eat fry or not. There's really not a 100% guarantee what they will do. At my place, the adults leave the fry completely alone.
The only fish in this tank is one adult platy and one bigger juvenile, you think they'll be ok?

The problem is, I'm leaving for a weekend away tomorrow and coming back on Sunday, will they be ok even if I can't monitor them? My grandma will be here, but she knows nothing about fish and wouldn't know what to do if something went wrong.

The only fish in this tank is one adult platy and one bigger juvenile, you think they'll be ok?

The problem is, I'm leaving for a weekend away tomorrow and coming back on Sunday, will they be ok even if I can't monitor them? My grandma will be here, but she knows nothing about fish and wouldn't know what to do if something went wrong.
With that size they should be okay... Just put some more floating plants in there.

Unfortunately I do not have any floating plants, and my LFS doesn't sell them
If you have some wool (don't know if you're a knitter), you can use that as well for the time being.

if you are going away for the weekend, leave the fish where it is until you get back so you can monitor it when you move it across.

if you are going away for the weekend, leave the fish where it is until you get back so you can monitor it when you move it across.
A little late unfortunately, I moved them this afternoon. I added a nest of yarn, and I was monitoring them for an hour this afternoon. The red one and the bigger blue one are definitely fine, and I think the smaller blue one is as well. I'll ask my grandma to check and make sure she can find all of them this weekend.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back