Will they get eaten?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!

I have one adult and one juvenile platy in a 30g tank. For a while now, Iā€™ve kept three smaller platy fry in a separate 10g. Iā€™m needing the 10g for other things, so I wanted to move them into the 30g. However, Iā€™m concerned that the two blue ones are still small enough to get eaten. Thoughts?

0F7DBF83-E711-4918-A733-DB51A957D9C2.jpeg

29499222-E822-418A-B214-C72279F31609.jpeg

Hello!

I have one adult and one juvenile platy in a 30g tank. For a while now, Iā€™ve kept three smaller platy fry in a separate 10g. Iā€™m needing the 10g for other things, so I wanted to move them into the 30g. However, Iā€™m concerned that the two blue ones are still small enough to get eaten. Thoughts?

View attachment 164652

View attachment 164653
I've heard some eat their young and some dont... Mixed reviews kinda.
But hopefully someone with more experience responds

I do not believe that this particular adult ate any of her babies. However, Iā€™m wondering if the two blue ones are still small enough to get eaten. I donā€™t want to take any chances lol

I do not believe that this particular adult ate any of her babies. However, Iā€™m wondering if the two blue ones are still small enough to get eaten. I donā€™t want to take any chances lol
Makes sense. You can move them to a separate fry tank if possible!

Makes sense. You can move them to a separate fry tank if possible!
They are currently in a separate breeder box inside the 30 gallon. Unfortunately I do not have another tank available as I need the 10 gallon they were previously in. They were not growing as well as they should have in the 10 gallon and when I put a previous batch of fry in the 30 gallon they all grew very well, and died from other reasons than the adult eating them. I wanted to make sure they had enough room to thrive but I don't want them getting eaten

They are currently in a separate breeder box inside the 30 gallon. Unfortunately I do not have another tank available as I need the 10 gallon they were previously in. They were not growing as well as they should have in the 10 gallon and when I put a previous batch of fry in the 30 gallon they all grew very well, and died from other reasons than the adult eating them. I wanted to make sure they had enough room to thrive but I don't want them getting eaten
Ok. So they should be fine if they are in a breeder box... Just make sure you remove them when they are big enough. No need to over crowd a small area.

Ok. So they should be fine if they are in a breeder box... Just make sure you remove them when they are big enough. No need to over crowd a small area.
The problem is, they are almost too big for the breeder box, and when I kept three or less fry in a breeder box previously, they all killed each other. Based on the pictures, is anyone able to tell of the blue ones are big enough to not get eaten by the adult in the bottom picture? I think the red spotted one will be fine.

If the ones in the pictures are actually the sizes I'm seeing it doesn't look like she could eat them... The "fry" look over half the size of the adult so I would think that they would be ok... Unless the adult has a huge mouth for her size lol

If the ones in the pictures are actually the sizes I'm seeing it doesn't look like she could eat them... The "fry" look over half the size of the adult so I would think that they would be ok... Unless the adult has a huge mouth for her size lol
The picture is zoomed in a lot, I can see if I can get a less zoomed one. Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it!!

The picture is zoomed in a lot, I can see if I can get a less zoomed one. Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it!!
Yes try to get a more "size accurate" picture if that makes sense... Maybe try to get an approximate measurement of the adult and the fry as well if possible.

No problem! Glad I could help a bit

Yes try to get a more "size accurate" picture if that makes sense... Maybe try to get an approximate measurement of the adult and the fry as well if possible.

No problem! Glad I could help a bit
How's this? The two blue fry are towards the top left and right above the red one.

IMG_20220811_102104785.jpg

Ah I see em...
I might let them grow a teensy bit larger but their almost at a good size
Ok, thank you!! The adults mouth isn't that big either. However, the blue fry are almost 7 months old, so I'm not sure how much bigger they'll grow unless they're in a bigger tank. My old fry didn't grow very big until they had room to.

Ok, thank you!! The adults mouth isn't that big either. However, the blue fry are almost 7 months old, so I'm not sure how much bigger they'll grow unless they're in a bigger tank. My old fry didn't grow very big until they had room to.
IMO you can add them in. It will be better than being in a breeder box.

IMO you can add them in. It will be better than being in a breeder box.
Yes that's true but chomp chomp, they may get eaten... I wanted to say it's OK to add them but I didn't want her to add them and then the mom decides to do a late abortion šŸ¤£

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back