Will Snails Climb Out Of Their Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hakisuma_chan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
-_- I was wondering if snails such as ramshorns will climb out of their tanks or bowls if uncovered. Mainly, I'm asking this because I think it would look nice if my betta bowl had a small one in it, but if not, they can live in my 55 gallon. Thanks in advance! :D

I dont knw about ramshorn snails but my mystery snail takes pride in climbing out and my small apple snail likes to hang out at the very very edge lol
its not a big deal to pick the snail up yell at it for climbing out AGAIN and put it back in the water though lol just dont let it be out of the water for too long

my snails have never climbed out if they do they get back in again!

If its a betta tank you are on about I hope you have a cover on as the bettas can, and do, jump. :good:

Apples and mystery snails need covers; they will climb out and can die. Ramshorns and trumpets don't that I have ever seen.

my snails have never climbed out if they do they get back in again!

If its a betta tank you are on about I hope you have a cover on as the bettas can, and do, jump. :good:

Speak of the devil...one of my females jumped today while I was napping, and now I feel horrible. :rip: :byebye: My beloved fishie! T_T

Thanks for your input!

I believe it depends on the Betta. I would think that a heavy tailed Betta would have more trouble jumping very high, but don't bet your Betta's life on it, Discuslova

It is wise to use lids on tanks. I have lost harlequin Rasaboras who jumped while acclimating to a new tank in the hospital hang on. I lost a new Botia dario (queen loach) who jumped out of a covered tank. I lost one Betta to fin rot after Lips jumped a divider and won the fight. I lost lips who jumped a couple of inches to dry out on the floor. That is all in the last 5 months or so. Fish jump.

One of my old bettas is a "jumper" he got over the divide to fight with his neighbour. Both survived. When I feed them he actually jumps up to get the food...very scarey :huh: :lol:

What would you use for a lid for a fishbowl? Like maybe a fine mesh? One of my white female betta jumped today while I was sleeping, I woke to feed them and found her dried up on my carpet. :shout: T_T I guess I learned it the hard way.

I don't have the water very high, like DiscusLova, but I see your point, Jollysue. Liz2, all of my bettas like attack their food, even if it's flake. Sometimes they jump a bit. XDD It scares me, but most of the time, it amuses me. I'm glad none of your male betta suffered serious casualties. :D

Sorry about your girl, hakisuma_chan. I'm afraid "hard way" is too often our teacher. :-( Yes mesh will work. Did the girl jump from the bowl?

Oh yeah...snails climb out of their tanks. We've lost so many this way. Sadly, our tank has a small hole up top where all of the wires and filter go in...and somehow they find it every freakin time.

Just get a lid.

Check with your lfs, they may have a suggestion too for the bowl cover.

my friend uses a doily for a cover and keeps it in place with a ribbon. you can even drop food through the holes with out removing the doily. works great and looks good as well!!

Is it cloth? Doesn't the cloth soak up water? It's a great suggestion. I would try to find something make of plasic/waterproof.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back