Will running my new filter in my established tank develop BB?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi I have my already established 55g African cichlid tank. Iā€™m getting a new WCMM tank next week. Would running my new air driven filter in my established tank build up some BB until next week?

I would leave it in there for about 3 weeks to ensure sufficient growth.
Well actually Iā€™ll be running 2 air driven filters in my breeding tank Iā€™ll be transferring some media from my established tank into one and running the other one in my established tank. Will that be suffice to run it for a week then or will it still require 3 weeks?

Well actually Iā€™ll be running 2 air driven filters in my breeding tank Iā€™ll be transferring some media from my established tank into one and running the other one in my established tank. Will that be suffice to run it for a week then or will it still require 3 weeks?
Took me about a week for new filter to get established after the old one broke down, I transferred the media from the old filter to the new one, the old media was tiny (small intank filter) compared to the new filter (external filter with 3 stages and 3 large sponge filters), I thought it was going to take forever, but like I said, probably a week, I just had to do water changes everyday to keep on top of NH, and NO's, im doing 2 30% water changes a week now to be on the safe side, should soon be able to reduce that to one.

This is how I cycle tanks, with no problems. I like to go 2 to 3 weeks, not just one, but it very effectively gets tanks started. I have softwater tanks though, and deal with ammonium, not ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back