Will plants repair??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all can anyone tell me from the picture if my plants can repair? They are turning transparent like.
IMG_20200622_220301.jpg

Yes I use tropica fertiliser I have an aqua one LED and I put the light on for 7 hours a day. Any more and I find that the algae starts

This is caused by not enough nutrition or not enough light.

@Byron will be able to tell you more.

Is that a liquid fertilizer?

While swords do indeed take nutrients from the water column, swords are heavy root feeders and need root tabs when looking like this.

I do not believe they will regenerate. When leaves begin to look like this (and they will) I cut them off and normally it will promote growth of new leaves from the center.

It will take some time and experimenting, but you need to find what works for you and balance light and nutrients.

Do you use root tabs? Echinodorus are heavy root feeders but can tolerate a fairly wide range of light - although not too bright. Pinch off the transparent leaves but unless you fix the problem the rest will likely go the same way.

Agree with others. Leaves do not regenrate, the plant knows not to waste energy and will produce new leaves (from the centre of the crown), but as has been mentioned these too will waste away unless the nutrient issue is rectified. Substrate tabs are the best form of nutrient supplementation for Echinodorus plants, but they will also bnefit from a comprehensive liquid supplement. Some nutrients are taken up by roots, some exclusively by leaves. Flourish Tabs are the best substrate fertilizer I have found.

My tank is 145 litres I give it seven shots of tropica premium nutrition a week when I do water change. And in the photo you can see how much natural light the tank gets. Then from 4pm until 11pm the LED is switched on. Allwater changes are spot on
IMG_20200623_072111.jpg

How long have you had the plant for?
It looks like it is suffering from heat, which might have happened if you got it recently and the plant was left in a bag in a hot car for a while. This could have happened before you got the plant or when you got it.

Other than that it doesn't look right. If the roots are healthy the plant should produce new leaves.

The plants are in the tank about a year if not more the tank is 26 degrees

Substrate fertilizer like Flourish Tabs will most likely solve this, as has been said by several members. Colin's point about heat in transport is well taken, but the past is the past and going forward providing good nutrition to this plant is key.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back