Will My Outdoor Goldfish Change Colors?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paprikakitty

Reaction score
I have 4 comet/shubunkin crosses in my outdoor pond. They are around a year old and a brown/grey color. The smallest is roughly 2-1/2” and the largest 4”. One parent was a bright orange comet, the other a calico shubunkin. I’m curious if these babies will developed colors over time or if they would’ve changed by now?

Thanks for any input!

I just sold a bunch of comet/shubunkin cross fry. The shubunkin looking ones always looked like shubunkins and the comet type began turning orange at 3 - 4 months. However, goldfish can change colors as they age too. I have a black moor that is 3 years old and just now turning gold.

I just sold a bunch of comet/shubunkin cross fry. The shubunkin looking ones always looked like shubunkins and the comet type began turning orange at 3 - 4 months. However, goldfish can change colors as they age too. I have a black moor that is 3 years old and just now turning gold.
My pair of Blackmoor, show a deep red or gold flash now & then. I think it’s the lighting, food & temperature at this stage. The other goldfish are brightening too, I bought some comets about to spawn fry just yesterday.

Do you mean the comets are spawning? The male will chase the female around and sometimes bump her into things to get her to release eggs. She will then scatter them on something like a plant. The male will then swim over them and fertilize them. About 3 days later they will hatch and cling to the side of things. Very hard to see in a pond for a while but in a tank you will find them clinging to the side. They look very alien at first. Lol! I remove the plant or whatever the eggs stick to and place them in a cycled tank so the parents don’t eat them. If you have a large pond some will most likely hide and survive. Good luck.

Do you mean the comets are spawning? The male will chase the female around and sometimes bump her into things to get her to release eggs. She will then scatter them on something like a plant. The male will then swim over them and fertilize them. About 3 days later they will hatch and cling to the side of things. Very hard to see in a pond for a while but in a tank you will find them clinging to the side. They look very alien at first. Lol! I remove the plant or whatever the eggs stick to and place them in a cycled tank so the parents don’t eat them. If you have a large pond some will most likely hide and survive. Good luck.
Thanks for the information on what to expect and look for. I purchased the females already to spawn as I think I only had males previously. I had best do a half tank water change, I was going to move them into the other empty tank which I cleaned this morning and filled, it is conditioning.
I will keep my eyes open for this.
Thank you,
™️

My goldfish in my pond breed every year. While most get their adult colour with a year, some take longer. One of the largest fish in the pond still hasn't changed and he/she must be four years old I reckon.
I watched a coy fish buying documentary last night, that was most enjoyable.
I guess your goldfish that hasn’t changed yet must be a whopper, even for their age.
As a child we would go to the local botanic gardens and catch the little goldfish like I have here, the were collected for bait for out holidays. I don’t really even eat fish these days. Lol. Cotton wool and flour on a string and stick was enough to catch plenty. I did take some to school for the fish tank, I recall they
they were still going well when I finished my seventh year.

*UPDATE* So, to answer my own question- The biggest of my 4 babies started turning orange on its belly and sides this past couple weeks. It’s even sprouted some lovely orange ‘eyebrows’! They are over a year old and the one is just now changing! Excited to see if the others follow suit!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back