Will my guppy be happier with Endler guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Inbreeding = breeding males and females which are close relatives. This can result in weak genes from both parents combining to make weak offspring.

Guppies are renowned as being so inbred they have health problems. The OP has already lost all but one of his guppies to illness and is afraid to buy any more as they too will be so inbred they'll also get sick and die.

He has read that endlers are not as inbred as guppies so they don't get sick as easily so he would like to replace his dead guppies with endlers.

But he wants to know if the guppy would get on with endlers if he were to get some.

The answer to the questionis the last guppy will be fine with endlers, and if he gets any female endlers the male guppy will breed quite happily with them. While hybrids are usually frowned upon, in this case there is not a problem as the majority of endlers in fish stores are already endler-guppy hybrids.
Couldn’t have put it better myself!

Like multiple times has been mentioned overhere, both species will do fine in one tank.

most people seem to be confused when it comes to guppies when a guppy dies or it gets sick it's usually put down to too much inbreeding the inbreeding side of it has very little to do with the problems that people have with Guppies
Of course, my problem was after getting them within 48 hours they had all died in the same fashion whilst all other fish were completely normal and parameters were fine. I called my fish store who said they had all but two of their female guppies die, which the importer stated was more likely to be from a poor batch genetically than a parasite. Either way, i just feel more comfortable with endlers I guess :)

so you have three guppies die within 48 hours and your local fish store loses Guppies you are another fish keeper that is confused about guppies your fish store say it's more likely to be poor genetics and you believe what they say . your parameters may be fine what you don't know is the conditions they've been kept in from the day they got shipped to the UK

so by the time they have reached your aquarium they would have gone through four different environments and conditions people don't stop and think about the stress that these fish have gone through. as I have mentioned the inbreeding/ genetics has very little to do with the death of your Guppies if it was poor genetics why would they die all at the same time don't be put off by the myths about poor genetics maybe try another fish store or a different strain of Guppies

I hear you on the guppy thing. I do think they've been overbred in farms to stock stores with.

I got a free guppy fry from a chain store. Was mixed in their neon tetras. They gave it to me. She lived.

So i wanted to get her friends.

Tried 2 adults from the same store. Died within 24 hours.
Tried another store, a local one instead of a chain. I bought 4. All different strains.

Only 1 of those lived. All died by day 3.

So now I have Freebie the grown up free fry and Fortune, the only other one who lived.

Whether its from genetics or inbreeding, they are not bred to be robust, theyre mass bred just for profit.

If it was simply shipping and importing stress, we would see same results from wild caught fish purchased from same places. But they transition perfectly fine compared to guppies in my experience.

of course there mass bread for profit and sometimes have genetic problems the deaths of your Guppies are more likely to be change of environment or diseased,
in the past 4 months I have bought 1 male and 4 females all doing well I very rarely have problems keeping/ breeding Guppies

of course there mass bread for profit and sometimes have genetic problems the deaths of your Guppies are more likely to be change of environment or diseased,
in the past 4 months I have bought 1 male and 4 females all doing well I very rarely have problems keeping/ breeding Guppies
Drop acclimated for an hour. Acclimated very carefully... thats one thing.

So, if change of environment, all my fish would be dead, including my delicate fish, like my Farlowellas. My wild caught fish would definitely be dead. Switching them to different tanks, they'd all be dead.

Second, no symptoms, no other fish loss, not even my own current sensitive fish who were in contact with the guppies. Healthy one day, dead the next. No clamped fins, no shimmies, nothing. Just boop, dead.

I have mollies and platies too, they don't drop dead like guppies do here.

I'm not the only one with issues keeping guppies alive. Theyre genetically weak nowadays. Mass bred fish do not thrive at all. Gotta look for people who actually breed good stock. I wish I could get stock from emeraldking, his guppies are fantastic quality.

But, I think OP is right to be wary of guppies locally to them. If they have issues keeping them alive, definitely try a healthier alternative, which are endlers and endler hybrids.

where do you think the good quality Guppies come from if they are all genetically weak lol.
emeraldking is a very experienced fish keeper and many other guppy breeders thay know what they're doing and most probably started off with pet shop Guppies
to be successful in keeping and breeding pet shop Guppies forget the idea that they are all genetically weak do more research on their needs and requirements go to your local pet shops and study all the Guppies that are available and learn what is good quality and which is bad. I can go into almost any pet shop come out with a bag of guppies take them home keep them alive and get them breeding living a normal life with very little problems if any. then I don't see why you can't do the same don't be put off by them being too inbred or genetically weak

where do you think the good quality Guppies come from if they are all genetically weak lol.
emeraldking is a very experienced fish keeper and many other guppy breeders thay know what they're doing and most probably started off with pet shop Guppies
to be successful in keeping and breeding pet shop Guppies forget the idea that they are all genetically weak do more research on their needs and requirements go to your local pet shops and study all the Guppies that are available and learn what is good quality and which is bad. I can go into almost any pet shop come out with a bag of guppies take them home keep them alive and get them breeding living a normal life with very little problems if any. then I don't see why you can't do the same don't be put off by them being too inbred or genetically weak
Yes because my mollies and platies who require the same parameters and care as guppies thrive while the guppies die within days. I totally don't know their requirements, silly me.

Emeraldking breeds them properly for quality and looks. He knows his stuff. He is on the other side of the world as me.

My local stores are supplied by mass farms who do not cull weak stock, but instead keep breeding from the weak stock. This creates genetically weak fish. Bettas suffer the same way here.

Don't paint all stock the same. Must be nice for you to have access to quality stock. Not all of us do. Myself and obviously OP do not have this fortune locally.

Yes because my mollies and platies who require the same parameters and care as guppies thrive while the guppies die within days. I totally don't know their requirements, silly me.

Emeraldking breeds them properly for quality and looks. He knows his stuff. He is on the other side of the world as me.

My local stores are supplied by mass farms who do not cull weak stock, but instead keep breeding from the weak stock. This creates genetically weak fish. Bettas suffer the same way here.

Don't paint all stock the same. Must be nice for you to have access to quality stock. Not all of us do. Myself and obviously OP do not have this fortune locally.
????

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back