Will My Golden Wonder Killi Eat My Pygmy Cory Catfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
just wondering if that's a concern cuz i have a pretty sizeable golden wonder killi in my 20 gallon and just got 3 pygmy cories but realized that if he wanted to (which he probably does) that my killi could devour him! i also have 2 blue rams would that be a problem? if so ill just put them in my other tank.

I can't imagine that your killifish will bother the cats.

Edit:

Hmmmm, read up on them a bit more. Seems they do have a reputation for gobbling up smaller fish.  I'll leave the answer to someone more knowledgable.
Corys are quite challenging fish to eat I'd imagine with their bony plates and spiky fins.

Munroco said:
I can't imagine that your killifish will bother the cats.

Edit:

Hmmmm, read up on them a bit more. Seems they do have a reputation for gobbling up smaller fish.  I'll leave the answer to someone more knowledgable.
Corys are quite challenging fish to eat I'd imagine with their bony plates and spiky fins.
yeah thanks i didn't think he would bother them at first but as i was about to put them in the tank i recalled a few days ago when my molly had babies that we fed the other fish the 2 that died and the killi devoured them both in less than 1 second literally. these pygmy's are a bit bigger but not by much so i don't want to put them in and end up just fattening up my killi =P

Very possible and somewhat likely, golden wonders will not hesitate to eat smaller fish and have a big mouth on them. Had a person before with a killi that died trying to eat an oto. Itd be safest for everyone to seperate the two. If the killi tries to eat a pygmy, the sharp spines on their fins will cause it to choke.

I agree with lydah.  Also, just to mention a couple things in case you are not already aware...I hope you intend getting several more pygmy corys.  They are shoaling fish and need a group, and with the pygmy species it is always better to have more than the often-cited basic of six or so.  I would aim for 9 or more.  Also, they need sand; gravel, even fine gravel, does not work well with the pygmy/dwarf species.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back