April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lizzywaffles

Reaction score
I am new to the hobby and I was told my Corys will be happy as long as I get at least 4. I asked if they need to be the same species and I was told that they don’t, so I got two Julli and two Peppered Corys. BUT I have been reading that they will not technically school together.

They seem to be very very young so I was wondering if there is any way they could form a bond and be happy just the four of them, or if I should go back and get a couple more(one more of each).

My tank is 29 gallons and their expected size is 2”. Thank you so much guys, super excited to be a part of the community!

Assuming you have no other bottom dwellers, 12 corydoras could be stocked in 29 gallons so you could do 6 peppered and 6 julii. They are happier with a small (6) shoal of their own although also comfortable with other types of corydoras.
Soft sand is an ideal substrate for corydoras to filter feed from. Anything sharp can damage their barbels and dirty substrates can easily cause infections in bottom dwellers.

I prefer Corydoras to be kept in groups of at least 6 and preferably 10 or more. As mentioned by Naughts, they prefer to be in groups of their own kind but will also mix with other species. In the wild you regularly see groups of Corydoras consisting of several species. So if you can get a couple more of each, they should be quite happy :)

Yep, bigger group, but best to have some buddies of their own too. 6+ but bigger numbers are better.

This has not yet been touched upon - what other fish do you have? A 29gal cory tank will be super cool, but if you already have other fish it's important to pay attention to stocking levels.

Also welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back