Will my betta get used to his backdrop?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jumccaff

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal plastic tank, light hood, real plants, filter, bubbler, and will be adding a heater soon. Yesterday I added a new backdrop to the backside of tank (aquamarine theme: plants, no fish picā€™s), but it made my betta flare all day. I know flaring is healthy - in moderation - but I donā€™t want to tire/stress him. Today I removed the scene and now his nose is pressed against the plastic waiting for underworld to reappear. Will he adjust to backdrop?

what kind of backdrop?
does it have pictures of other fish in it?

im not sure the bubbler is a great idea in the tank. bettas generally prefer still water...i guess in a 5 gal though, it might be ok (theres probably enough room for him to get away from it)

WOW, you guys are great - and prompt!!

Jeffrey's background is a photo of plants - no fish! He even flared his gills at the backdrop of scenery. He seriously looks like a fish banging on the window asking where the sea life went! I'm pretty new at this, so I know they can tire from flaring and with him on my desk at work, I can't monitor if, in the evenings, he still keeps becoming agressive with the phony plants on the wallpaper.

well, i dont' think it'd cuase him any harm :) he's porbably just excited about the new background and all the colors that's all :p

i have a betta that would flare at ...literally anything, my finger, the pencil, the melafix container, a key chain...he's healthy though :D

I was concerned about the bubbler myself - knowing that they prefer calm waters. It produces what looks like bubble nests in the corner. I've tried turning it down.

Well, I put the backdrop back up on the backside of his aquarium and he immediately began to flare again. It's the funniest thing to watch - he's trying to nip at the pictures of plants - but the real plants in his home seem to not phase him. BTW, I reduced the air into the bubbler - thanks for the advice!

Is there any chance that maybe he flares because he sees his reflection in the background? My betta flares at his reflection in the tank all the time... no backdrop and there's no way of reducing the reflection...

I supose there could be a chance he's seeing himself in a reflection, but I can't see it. I am accustomed to him flaring when he sees himself in the mirror (something I do only 5-10 minutes a day), if that's the problem, do you think I should remove the backdrop? Will I tire or stress him?

i dotn' think it'll stress him out too much. I keep all my bettas next to each other and it seems to be the only way to encourage them to eat. If i keep them sepreate, they a) dont' build much nests and B) don't eat as much

Eventually though i'm sure your betta will get tired of flaring at the plants (or wahtever he may be seeing) and stop :)

I don't know, but when you find out how I can do it for my tank, will you let me know?! ;)

See if he does the same when you put a different item as a backdrop... maybe it is reflective?

Will do and thanks to both of you!! I also posted a thread asking about whether he needs a playmate. again, he's in a 5 gal. tank with a lighthood, filter, bubbler (on very low now), real plants, a fake cave, and soon to have a new heater added. Can I add anything? 3 tetras?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back