Will Malawis Attack A Dwarf Frog

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jamesmacc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi folks, was in a fish shop today and seen some dwarf frogs, there were defo not the fish eating larger ones that have claws instead of webs. they are realy cool we guys and looked nice darting around the tank. do you think my malawis would attack them? i had a small golden nugget plec and they never touched that.
let me know what you think

Personally I think the frog wouldn't stand a chance with the malawis. I have BNs with my malawis without problems, but plecs don't seem to be noticed by the malawis as they stay on the rocks. Frogs will probably be attacked as they swim about and I don't suppose they'd be able to take much abuse.

The dwarf frogs if theyre are what i think you mean come from the congo, although on tje same continent. The water is completely different. So they would no doubt suffer a bit in a higher pH and hard water tank... Thats before they're eaten.
The mbuna generaly require an algae based diet. The frogs require meatier foods. And only tend to take frozen/ live foods... Which would no doubt be eaten first by the
more frantic feeding mbuna. And all the fat in those foods is terrible for the cichlids.
Sorry to bring bad news, it always sucks :( mbuna are curious and aggressive and should really be kept only with other mbuna (a few bns or synos wont hurt)
Ive kept both the frogs and mbuna in my time. Theyre interesting choices, but just not suited to each other im afraid.

cheers for the advise. i will give them a miss, dont want them getting eaten and dont want the malawis eating the wrong foods

Hey James

Why not get a malawi crab, neil from northantmalawis has some.

Most reactions

Back