Will Live Plants Grow Under Standard Leds?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bubble87

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
all i have is a led strip light on my tank but will this be enough for me to have a few live plants like crypt and java fern?

Heyyyyy! I didnt try to steal your Username lol!!! I promise!!!

An LED strip probably wont be enough for lots of plants... i would try and go for a flourescent bulb... they put out a good spectrum and have still very little wattage... if you give me dimensions of the inside of the hood in inches i might be able to sort out a suitable bulb and starter set for you!!!

They need to be high output led's really.

dont know what spectrum you can get from them though...

i will think... thinking could be dangerous though...

here are the ones ive got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-48-LED-FLEXIBLE-STRIP-LIGHT-WHITE-12V-SUPPLY-ADHESIVE-AQUARIUM-/180728524377?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a14426e59#ht_2690wt_1037

what do you think?? would they be good enough??

I have a standard LED that came with my 10 gallon tank kit. I've had problems with some of my plants starting to yellow. :( I'm replacing it with either double bright LEDs or a standard bulb.

I have a standard LED that came with my 10 gallon tank kit. I've had problems with some of my plants starting to yellow. :( I'm replacing it with either double bright LEDs or a standard bulb.

can you tell me what ones you have in mind?

here are the ones ive got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-48-LED-FLEXIBLE-STRIP-LIGHT-WHITE-12V-SUPPLY-ADHESIVE-AQUARIUM-/180728524377?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a14426e59#ht_2690wt_1037

what do you think?? would they be good enough??

Doubtful mate, I used those to make led lights for my car, they're not really the correct type of lighting for growing plants, grab yourself a set of these ones from ebay HERE and get some drivers, heat sinks, lens' and a power supply and make up your own, very cheap and simple, link in my sig for a pico one with 2 x LED's in case you need any help.

Oh and if you do go down that road then let us know your tank size, what you want to grow and what your willing to dose (ferts and CO2).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back