Will i need to cycle or not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Luke809

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I'm in need of some advice.

I currently have a 240 litre 4 foot tank and I'm running a fluval fx6 and an all pond solutions 2.3L filter booster on it.

I'm expecting my 810 litre 8 foot tank to arrive the start of next month which will come with a brand new fx6. I'm also using a new substrate in this tank and not moving any old substrate over (colour change).

So my question is do I need to cycle the new tank? or could I stick the mature fx6 and the new fx6 on the new tank full it up with remineralised RO water and will be good to go?

Thank you for any advice given

Will you be running both fx6's on the new tank? If yes, all you need to do is set up the new tank and move the current fx6 and the fish over to the new tank. You could always have a mix of new and old media in each filter.
I would keep an eye on the water for several days after the move to be on the safe side. Once you know ammonia & nitrite are staying at zero, increase the fish a group at a time.

Agreed.

You should be able to bring the filters over to the new tank without any issues.

Test frequently to be sure the cycle is maintained.

Thank you for the advice. I. Relitivly new to fish keeping but thought that was the case. Just wanted to confirm it with people with more knowledge then me

If you have gravel substrate. You can always put some of your old substrate in a panty hose and tie it off then place it in the back corner of tank to help get the bacteria going in new substrate. This along with your filters.

Reactions: kwi
What are you keeping in this tank. If it is fully planted not such an issue, if it is un planted that is a different story

I currently have black sand substrate and going to put white in the new one.

I'll be keeping a black ghost knife fish, 4 silver dollar, a mature pleco, freshwater barracuda and lima catfish. They are all still small at the moment. It won't be a planted tank as I've never had any luck with planted before

I planned on move all the wood and stones across to the new tank

I currently have black sand substrate and going to put white in the new one.

I'll be keeping a black ghost knife fish, 4 silver dollar, a mature pleco, freshwater barracuda and lima catfish. They are all still small at the moment. It won't be a planted tank as I've never had any luck with planted before
White isn't the best choice for a substrate, fish can find it stressful as it reflects light.
Play sand gives you a natural base without being white. The brand Argos sells is deemed safe as is the Tarmac stuff I believe Smyths Toys sells. (£2 cheaper a bag than Argos too.)

I have the fluval aquasky 2.0 lights so the white light is only on for 5 hours a day with blue light on for 1 hour ever side of that. The rest of the time they are off

The aquasky are real good with all built in timers so can sort them all through an app on your phone. I like to have them on when I come home for lunch

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back