Will i need co2?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

digital_run

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there....

Ok...so i was wondering about Co2 injections...I have a 65gal. tank with a total of 160 watts of light...( 2 powerglow 1 aquaglow 1 floraglow )....Now i already have a fairly large Java fern which is doing great and is starting to grow "buds" at the ends of its leaves :D ....Now i wanted to add about 3-4 amazon swords as i want some hardy plants with some height.... :rolleyes: ....Now with the addition of these plants will i need Co2 injections .. :dunno: If ieft out any info..let me know... ;)
Thnx alot...DR

In general, with 160 watts over 65 gallons, or near 2.5 wpg, I would guess that you'll probably end up with an ongoing algae problem with no CO2 injection (even if the tank is taller than most).

edit: most people will agree that with light of 2 wpg or above, you will see significant improvement in your plants, and far less algae, if you inject CO2. Some people will put that number at 1.5 wpg.

CO2 benefits the high metabolism plants much more then low light tolerant species. That said, even plants like Java Fern will grow more vigourously in good light with CO2 supplement.

It is easy enough to try, try it and see.

I think i will...its interesting and great to see my plants grow....I have one final question that i know has been asked a 100 times now...so sry to mak u answer it again...The amazon swords i am going to get are all in pots...Now im pretty sure i should remove them and bury them in the gravel...Do i have to trim anything off bofore i do this...and should i use a root tab like my Java fern...? ;)

Again...thnx for the help! :rolleyes:

p.s bol ... I do have a algae prob. I had it when i had only 80 watts over it...But ive just been cleaning with an algae pad when i do water changes.. ;)

Unless you have things that dig around in the gravel, it is better to remove the plants from the pots they come in. It is usually easiest to cut the pot and then carefully tease the rockwool away so you cause minimal damage to the roots.

I have never used root tabs with Java Fern, but if the roots from the rhizome go into the substrate, I can't see that it could do any harm.

Thnx alot LL ....you've been a great help!! :) When i get them in there ill be sure to post some pics...and im sure ill have co2 questions :p

You are welcome! Aquatic gardening adds a dimension to the hobby. Some plants are as difficult to keep as the most demanding fish.

Enjoy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back