Will Fundulopanchax Gardneri Eat Their Young?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tom499

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with 2 males, and 2 females. They get along fine. They are in a pretty heavily planted tank.

Today I have noticed young, one was maybe 5 mm long.

Can I expect them to surive to adulthood, I have no food available for the young, and I don't think I'll be able to catch them easily.

Hi Tom,
They will predate on the odd few as will all killifish sp. on their own young in varying degrees.
Once they (the fry) reach a certain size then they will in general be left pretty much alone.
They are not avidly chased or hunted, but may be taken if they get in the way or are very small.
The fry however will make it a priority to keep their distance. For the most part the fry that you see will be the fittest and most robust of the survivors.
Take heart that for the fry to be that size then they must be feeding on something and at that size they will take finely crushed flake as GAR will accept dry food, whereas other species would ignore this.
Regards
BigC

Thankyou for the swift reply BigC.

I will start adding finely crushed flake into the feeding regime then. I guess its fingers crossed for a few weeks then.

Just dropping in to update, so far so good.

Have seen more fry, and many appear to be getting bigger. I guess they'll just grow a little slower due to lack of perfect fry raising conditions.

Further update, there are 3-4 good sized young now, I could well have adults to give away by september =D

Heres a photo of one of the young, photo is a few weeks old now.

068.jpg

I'm going to be away for alot of the summer, my sister will be watching over them. Hopefully come september when I'm back for abit I will be offering them, as another few months they should be on their way to adulthood.

Awesome, I'll probably be interested so give me a PM if you decide to sell :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back