Will Female Betta Tolerate Guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

just a quick question will a female betta tolerate guppies or is it just a no go area.

Honestly it depends on the betta's personality. You can give it a try, pet-store guppies should be fine. The betta will eat the babies for sure though.

that's fine eating the fry as long has she doesn't eat my guppies. I have plenty of live plant's in the tank so hopefully plenty of hiding places

She may be fine. Mine is with three rasboras and ignores them. An easy way to test if she'll be tolerant is to hold a guppy (in a bag/clear up) to the glass and see if the betta flares. I intended to put another female in my tank and the one I have freaked out and that was enough of a demonstration to me that she would be better off with other fish.

I wouldn't get guppies, though, as through personal experience, they're all very imbred and disease prone. I've had a difficult time with mine being wormy.

If your tank is 5-gallon or less, I'd leave the betta by herself.

already have the guppies have had them for about 2 year's now so i would be adding a female betta to them the tank is just under 10 gallons

already have the guppies have had them for about 2 year's now so i would be adding a female betta to them the tank is just under 10 gallons
Okay, sounds good then. Might as well try and have a back-up plan in case the fish do not get along :)

if you do put them in just make sure you have a back up if it kicks of. i had females with guppys but its really just up to the personality of the betta

i do have a spare 5 gallon tank if thing's did go abit wrong but thank's for the good advice

I've had no problems with my female splenden being with guppies and black neons. At first, she was a little aggresive but she calmed quickly. The guppies tend to be a little curious but she deals with it now. My only issue was with feeding her pellets because the guppies would steal them before she got to them. So now I try to drop them right in front of her and she does get most of them. She also does eat regular flake food so she doesn't go hungry.

I've had no problems with my female splenden being with guppies and black neons. At first, she was a little aggresive but she calmed quickly. The guppies tend to be a little curious but she deals with it now. My only issue was with feeding her pellets because the guppies would steal them before she got to them. So now I try to drop them right in front of her and she does get most of them. She also does eat regular flake food so she doesn't go hungry.
You can train the betta to eat from your fingers so she'll get what she needs before the other fish jump into to pick at all the food. Just wet your finger, stick food to the tip of it and put your finger directly above her head. She'll come up and nip the food off your finger. Be prepared as those little fish have strong jaws. Their bites don't hurt, they just will make *you* jump the first few times. It's fun to feed them that way.

i am in pontypridd and i have seen female betta's on ebay for sale and he is not far from me in porth they are about 5 month's old i contacted him because he was selling 5 i only want 1 and he said i could have 1 for £2.00.
But i still can't help worrying

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back