Will corydora catfish eat young fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevinsam

Reaction score
Today, I had five 1" guppy fry in my 10 gallon tank, along with six neons and two corydoras. When I came back this evening I could only find four guppy fry. One disappeared! My guess is that the catfish ate it. The neons definitely wouldn't touch them. I was under the impression that corys don't touch fry. Do corys eat young fry?

I don't think the Cory's are your culprit. I have raised them and I have seen them come upon a newly born livebearer and flinch away when they discovered the baby fish. A one inch guppy is about the same size as a Neon Tetra.
I recently had 4 newly born Platys given to me. Too little for my big tank. I set up a 3 gal with plants and decided to add some Cory's (newly purchased) into the tank. Absolutely no problem. The Platy's have doubled in size. The Cory's have always just ignored them.
Good Luck.

Personally i dont trust any fish even its own species, i have an experienced where my swordtail eat their own fry....

If the guppy was 1 inch long the Corydoras didn't kill it. However, if the fish died in the tank, then all the fish would pick at it.

I don't think the Cory's are your culprit. I have raised them and I have seen them come upon a newly born livebearer and flinch away when they discovered the baby fish. A one inch guppy is about the same size as a Neon Tetra.
I recently had 4 newly born Platys given to me. Too little for my big tank. I set up a 3 gal with plants and decided to add some Cory's (newly purchased) into the tank. Absolutely no problem. The Platy's have doubled in size. The Cory's have always just ignored them.
Good Luck.

Thanks, that's good to know corys don't touch babies. I wonder if all Corys are the same or if it depends on their personalities.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back