Will calcium hurt my Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pbartholme

Reaction score
I got some Ramshorns snails and I wanted put some in my Betta tank. Will adding supplementary calcium make the water too hard or will they be fine?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

All animals and plants need Calcium and magnesium to live. The GH test is specific for calcium and magnesium. As long as the reading not less than 2 and not more than the fish can tolerate. I have read A GH of 25 is too high for but i have no experience with hard water. Snails get the minerals they need mainly from the food they eat be it algae or something you feed them. But for heatly shell it is more important that the PH of the water stays at 7 or higher. The shell will slowly dissolve it the water turns acidic. If the PH is 7 more the shell will not dissolve. Once the shell is damaged the snail cannot repair it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back