will a fancy female guppy give fancy babies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jeffrey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two fancy female guppies, one is normal but with a very vibrant tail, and hte other is orange with an olmost neon orange tail.

Does this mean they will have similar looking babies, or does it depend on the father?

02.jpg

03.jpg

Those are my girls. the blue finned one isnt as far along as I first thought. she likes to look right at me so its hard ot tell sometimes.

Well its all a matter of genetics. It depends on which genes are dominant and which are recessive and if both parents carry the genes. Its hard to really tell what kind of offspring they are going to give birth to unless you know for sure who the father is. Even then its hard to figure out unless you know which traits are dominant. I would guess that at least a few of the offspring will have the colors that you desire though.

I have only had one bunch of guppy fry so far that have got big enough to tell but out of 10 fry 2 of them looked like the mother. One was male and one female. Don't know about the male colours as she was pregnant when I got her. There were 3 females with the same blue colouring and 2 males are the same colours too. I guess its the luck of the draw but fingers crossed you get some the same as the blue (green looking on pic) one is fantastic colours! and the yellow one looks just like mine in my avatar :)

wow, those guppys are very nice...put my female to shame :D it is all in genetics, traits from the male and female go into the fry plus any mutations. they could either look simular or not simular at all, my blue and yellow twin tailed male guppy nad my fansy tailed female ( who has very dull coloring ) have produced this very pretty yellow and black fry, he looks nothing like his parents at all. theres rely no telling unless u breed a sibling pair but with parents like that they are almost sertainly going to be pretty :thumbs: good luck

That has too be one of the prettiest females UI have ever seen !! :kewlpics: It is just genetics ......Dominant will be in most of them .... But more than likely say she has 20 babies .. I would say maybe 3 will favor dad 3 mom ....then maybe 4 favor dad but a lil of mom vise versa then some mixes ..... No telling :) one of the fun things about breeding :)

they are deffently fancy! NICE GIRLS! my gups have nowhere near the color of your females. ive seen males that dont stack up to your girls color wise. just wait for the babies there gonna b verry nice....

Thanks for the compliments :)
a local place gets a few in like these girls every now and then from a small local breeder.

They are very hard to get, cause they wont hold when they are in the decontamination tanks, and I am never their when they go for sale. trying to get a couple more though.

are fish like snakes and can inbreed without defects?
Cause I bet the yellow and a real fancy one would make a neat combo.

You can't inbreed anything without it causing defects, it's just a matter of how long it takes before defects start showing up, and often you can't even tell because the defects are on their immune systems and stuff like that. I personally don't like inbreeding my fish, which is why I buy my breeders from different stores in different areas.

thats what i figured about inbreeding.
I know for snakes they breed kids back to the mother to get dormant trails to show up.

But with guppies isnt it hard to not inbreed them sometimes? and dont they keep sperm so a male isnt even needed.

Yeah, that's why it's nice to get pregnant females and let them drop some fry from whatever males were in the tank with them at the store. As to males, watch the tank and, excuse my terms, pick the horniest male out of the whole tank, he'll be the one who will not leave any of the females alone. As to inbreeding, it can be prevented but it takes a few tanks to do it, unless of course you have some bigger fish who wouldn't mind a snack when you need to get rid of some...

Sorry I can't offer any advise but I just wanted to tell you those fish are absolutely beautiful. ---- Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kewlpics:

Thanks for the compliments :)
As soon as my D70 is done getting fixed (should be this week) I will have a couple much nicer pics.

I wont be activily trying to save the fry, but would like to give them a chance this time.
Any that make it to about 2 cm will be sold to my LFS (they dont give much, but something is better then nothing) with maybe keeping a very pretty female and buying another really nice male, and well... try and breed some extraodinary guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back