Will 1 degree celcius damage the seals on my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Emeraldtarpon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi TFFers,
just a quick question....
My 4ft tank is currently sitting outdoors under my verandah (on styrene sheets to protect the bottom of the tank).
Weve got a 1 degree celcius night coming up and i was wondering if these kinds of temps will damage the silicone seals?
Appreciate your replies, thank you.

Cured Silicone is good between negative 60 deg C up to ~ 450 Deg C -one of the widest temperature range materials there is. I would say you are OK.
Thank you, appreciate it 👍
I wasnt sure so i ended up wrapping it in old blankets...i may as well just leave them there now.
I cant bring it inside at the moment 'cause ive done my lower back ☹️ (and yeah,, i did it cleaning the bloody tank lol).

It will be fine, I kept an old 300 litre tank in my council garage for years and years, through freezing winters and boiling summers. When it came time to dismantle the tank to make some space the sealant was as tough as it was on day one. Took me ages to cut it apart.

It will be fine, I kept an old 300 litre tank in my council garage for years and years, through freezing winters and boiling summers. When it came time to dismantle the tank to make some space the sealant was as tough as it was on day one. Took me ages to cut it apart.
One does not dismantle a 300l tank 🧐 one fills it with water and finnage!! :fish:

One does keep it unless one is ordered by the commander in chief to make room.

Hi TFFers,
just a quick question....
My 4ft tank is currently sitting outdoors under my verandah (on styrene sheets to protect the bottom of the tank).
Weve got a 1 degree celcius night coming up and i was wondering if these kinds of temps will damage the silicone seals?
Appreciate your replies, thank you.
It won't damage the seals for one night. I have some tanks outdoors that stay outside during winter and not one of them had problems. But I do have to say that there was still water in it that froze. If you leave a tank without water in it, the seals may get some damage. But I doubt it when it's just one night.

The silicone should handle the potential freezing, but there are other factors that are a concern especially if the aquarium has plastic moldings. Depending on the plastic they can become very brittle in cold weather. As well both the silicone and the plastic are subject to UV damage if exposed to unfiltered sunlight. I know the plastic on the Tetra, Marine Land, and Top fin, likely others, tanks are all suspect to UV damage and can become quite brittle as a result. On the small tanks this is not quite as critical but on the larger tanks there is often a support band across the top, and sometimes the bottom of the tank, these are structural components and can be damaged by sunlight. Some plastic is more UV tolerant than others, but all are affected to some extent.

The silicone should handle the potential freezing, but there are other factors that are a concern especially if the aquarium has plastic moldings. Depending on the plastic they can become very brittle in cold weather. As well both the silicone and the plastic are subject to UV damage if exposed to unfiltered sunlight. I know the plastic on the Tetra, Marine Land, and Top fin, likely others, tanks are all suspect to UV damage and can become quite brittle as a result. On the small tanks this is not quite as critical but on the larger tanks there is often a support band across the top, and sometimes the bottom of the tank, these are structural components and can be damaged by sunlight. Some plastic is more UV tolerant than others, but all are affected to some extent.
All good, none of that plastic stuff here...just pure,unadulterated glass all 'round : )

Well, if thats not a true test of silicone's durability, i dont know what is.
Thank you..ive obviously got nothing to worry about 👍

Thanks very much guys and gals, you've put my mind at rest, i can stop stressing now lol.

Love this place 😍😊✌️👍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back