The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samxx

Fishaholic
Reaction score
will 1 Albino Africa Clawed Aquatic Frog be ok in a 4 g UK

Hi,

African clawed frogs grow 5 inches+ and i've seen minimum recommended at 20 gallons.
African dwarf frogs on the other hand stay small and you could keep 3 easily in a 5 gallon tank. Read the pinned topics in the amphibians, reptiles and inverts section for more details.

Emma

Hi samxx :)

An African Clawed Frog will only be OK in a tank that size while it's very young. They are heavy eaters and grow fast, so before long you will want to move it to a bigger tank. They do best without filtration and the bigger the tank is, the easier you will find it is to keep clean. A 10 gallon tank is the minimum.

You could probably keep two adults in a 20 gallon (high, not long) tank, and the extra height will make it easier to clean without them jumping out.

Their smaller relatives, the African Dwarf Frogs, are nice too, and they would do quite well in the smaller tank. For more information about both of these frogs, click on this pinned thread: :D

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=18252

From ACF enthusiasts, I often hear of 20g being a minimum tank size for them, however it's more common to hear 10g on this particular forum. Either way, 4g won't do for your frog for very long.

I am hopeless at the gallons sizes of Tanks :*).I keep my African Claweds in a 3ft Tank and my African Dwarf claweds in a 2ft Tank i wouldnt keep mine in anything less than that

do they / would they smell with out a filter

Yes, if their tank is allowed to become dirty, they will smell. It's not really noticeable if the tank is not overstocked and is given regular cleanings, but like all meat eating creatures, the do produce smelly wastes.

ACFs come from a natural habitat of still water, and the vibrations caused by a filter is upsetting to their nervous system and is said to cause premature death.

Yes, if their tank is allowed to become dirty, they will smell. It's not really noticeable if the tank is not overstocked and is given regular cleanings, but like all meat eating creatures, the do produce smelly wastes.

ACFs come from a natural habitat of still water, and the vibrations caused by a filter is upsetting to their nervous system and is said to cause premature death.

I have been keeping ACFs for about 5 yrs now and have had about 6 lots of Spawn and reared the young, my Tanks all have filters as do all my friends tanks and i have never had a problem

I also keep an ACF in a tank with a filter and it dosnt bother him, in fact he sits on the top of the filter and pokes his eyes out the water. He is getting bigger and fatter than ever so he must be happy. :thumbs:

An ACF has a natural life expectancy of 15 -20 years. Even if the filter causes it to die after only 10, that's a long life but still an early death. :/

Most reactions

trending

Back