Wildfire Nightmare

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I've been getting reports from parents and other friends in Colorado, and I've been checking the Daily Camera and Denver Post. Looks like they're getting the ones near Boulder under control, but the one near Estes Park looks really scary. I hope you guys get that forecasted snow!

The snow really slowed the growth, we have more on the way next week if the forecast holds. It was a quiet weekend for the fires as they slowly smolder themselves out.

@Silvermist80 how are things going with your tanks? Were you able to work things out? Just curious. Hope you and your loved ones are safe and ok.

Last edited:
The snow really slowed the growth, we have more on the way next week if the forecast holds. It was a quiet weekend for the fires as they slowly smolder themselves out.

@Silvermist80 how are things going with your tanks? Were you able to work things out? Just curious. Hope you and your loved ones are safe and ok.

Thanks for checking in. Things are a little better, but I'm still losing almost all of my guppies. I think I'm somewhere at 70 fish lost. I have only 5 tanks left going with fish... out of 12. I installed an RO filter system for my sink, was definitely not cheap. I wanted it for myself as well as the fish, not knowing what's in the water. I'm not terribly far from the East Troublesome fire, second largest in state history. I keep getting more ideas to try because unfortunately the RO system takes out the minerals and my fish are hard water fish. I'm still low on funds, but I ordered some minerals to add back in from Amazon, but I still haven't gotten them. My biggest enemy is still pH, it's giving me nightmares. Even when I can manage that with chemicals, either me messing with the pH or some other issue, is still killing fish. I had tons of healthy, beautiful guppies, including 4 Purple Moscow I paid quite a bit for.... gone. I've also tried bottled natural spring water to add in that has minerals. I've had to stop doing water changes. I keep fighting the good fight, but I think I've mostly lost the battle.

Ohhh, I'm so sorry to hear :( hopefully one day a silver lining to this calamity can be found, though that day may not be today, tomorrow, or the day after

Hopefully. At least after fires there is regrowth. Saw this floating on the top of my 20g fish tank that is empty right now. No idea what it is, but never seen a slick on the surface of a tank like it. This is under white light. I still think there's toxins in the tap water. Google says a wildfire can damage water supplies for years.
Screenshot_20201110-105509_Gallery.jpg

Hopefully. At least after fires there is regrowth. Saw this floating on the top of my 20g fish tank that is empty right now. No idea what it is, but never seen a slick on the surface of a tank like it. This is under white light. I still think there's toxins in the tap water. Google says a wildfire can damage water supplies for years. View attachment 122292
It’s biofilm, perfectly natural for a tank. Shrimp/snails like to eat it. :)

that is wild. much more "rainbow colored" than other slicks that I've seen on tanks....

Never seen a biofilm like that, and it's empty. We'll see, I'll try to skim it off tonight. Didnt have time last night.

Yeah and I've never seen that on my other tanks before. It also cast this weird pink light. It was also thick, but swirled around from the filter. Had a very strange consistency to it. I also had Seed Shrimp in that tank to clean while it's empty, I'd think they'd be all over it... they swim lower, but won't go near that slick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back