Wild vs Domestic

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It does differ wether a captive bred or wild specimen will be stronger, depending on the new circumstances they have to live in. But in general, wild ones are stronger than domestic ones. This is simply because of the fact that they had to live in various circumstances. It's almost the same as when we keep domestic ones in an outdoor environment during the better months of the year. These fish will become stronger than the ones kept indoors. The ones kept outdoors have experienced the fluctuations of the weather and temperature. The ones kept indoors have been living in a steady controlled situation. Therefore, they've not been exposed to fluctuations. Which makes them more vulnerable to changes in the parameters. But again, it does also differ per species itself how tolerable they are by themselves.

Thanks everyone for the great info.
I really appreciate the indepth advice I've received to this and all the other questions I've put forth during the short time since I've joined this forum. I feel I've already learned so much. Thank you!

F2 are offspring of F1 fish while F1s are the first generation to be born in captivity, that means that their parents are wild caught.
I have to jump in...
You're right that the F2 is the offspring of the F1. But the F0 don't have to be wild. Also when you start a breeding project with a domestic species, the first breeder fish used are also the F0. This is how it works.
F0 are the first breeder fish used when someone starts a breeding project.

Have you ever had a betta imported? Found a site with some fish I really like, but feel hesitant to buy a fish from so far away (Thailand), it sounds very complicated.
Yes I have thought I have always gone through reputable people so I can be sure I know what im getting also I tend to pick up so I can check teh species is correct

I have to jump in...
You're right that the F2 is the offspring of the F1. But the F0 don't have to be wild. Also when you start a breeding project with a domestic species, the first breeder fish used are also the F0. This is how it works.
F0 are the first breeder fish used when someone starts a breeding project.

The original idea as I understand it is that "FO" only was made up a while ago. It went wild caught to F-1 to F-2 to F-2000 if someone was keeping breeding records for that long. That system for tracking wild imports was taken on by fancy line breeders (people who breed a fish, or other animal, to create a domesticated form), and FO seems to have become a starting point for mutations and colour/fin forms in that world. So as usual in this hobby, we have a couple of parallel universes - wild form breeders and fancy breeders.

I keep killifish, and my goal as a breeder is to at least maintain the appearance of the wild fish that come in. My favourite project is a fish I acquired in 1992, as F-2 from a 1989 collection. While I stopped giving an "F" and a number a long time ago, I still have the species breeding, and was delighted when they were found in the wild in 2021, for the first time since '89. I was sent a photo, and it could have been one of my fish here. I should be able to tell you my fish are F-whatever number, but past 3 or 4, most people lose interest in record keeping. Still, I'm glad that if you want to see what the fish looks like in nature, you can look at them in my tanks.

The original idea as I understand it is that "FO" only was made up a while ago. It went wild caught to F-1 to F-2 to F-2000 if someone was keeping breeding records for that long. That system for tracking wild imports was taken on by fancy line breeders (people who breed a fish, or other animal, to create a domesticated form), and FO seems to have become a starting point for mutations and colour/fin forms in that world. So as usual in this hobby, we have a couple of parallel universes - wild form breeders and fancy breeders.

I keep killifish, and my goal as a breeder is to at least maintain the appearance of the wild fish that come in. My favourite project is a fish I acquired in 1992, as F-2 from a 1989 collection. While I stopped giving an "F" and a number a long time ago, I still have the species breeding, and was delighted when they were found in the wild in 2021, for the first time since '89. I was sent a photo, and it could have been one of my fish here. I should be able to tell you my fish are F-whatever number, but past 3 or 4, most people lose interest in record keeping. Still, I'm glad that if you want to see what the fish looks like in nature, you can look at them in my tanks.
This is exactly what I was saying. Of course, all domestic forms came from wild. So, it did start off with F0's back then. But also in the fancy world it's still been used for you need to start somewhere. And the first breeder fish will be called F0. I'm a breeder of wild and fancy species myself.

With some of the wild type livebearers you've mentioned, I've considered lining my kayak with styrofoam and paddling off from Canada on a viking raid.
That has brought out my silly side....so sorry...

I can just imagine you off in your kayak one morning, waving goodbye to the family......prowling around looking for fish...

Returns home later that day, family on the banks waving frantically at you

"Don't you think that Orca might eat the Neons, dear?"

"Nah...it'll be fine...."

;)

Paddling across the north Atlantic in a flat water kayak (or any kayak) would lead to me having a future as fish food!

That said, the silly nerd in me comes out and I can say I have spent many hours on Canadian lakes enjoying the plant life through clear water. I'll never make a tank look as good as a glacier scrape lake in late July. The fish are great, the plants are magnificent... a kayak gives you all that plus a shot at a horrible death if you decide to paddle to the Netherlands to get wild type platys....

Most reactions

Back