Wild Tefe Green Discus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
ive kept discus for about 2 months now and all is well. i use normal tap water, have medium/hard water and do at least 1 x 50% water change per week. my fish seem to have adapted to my pH and tap water very well and are eating well and looking great. i want to add a couple more to my tank and have found some tefe green discus for sale at lfs, they are labeled as 'wild' and look amazing. lfs water is pH 7 and mine is about 7.6-7.8.

my question is would these fish adapt to my water conditions like my others seem to have done very well?

i know there are mixed opinions about not using RO water and people saying its a must thing to do with discus but i dont want to go down the route of arguments about that as ive been there before. i know many people who do not use Ro and keep discus very healthy including myself, so far.

if wild caught fish are much more sensitive i may give them a miss, just wanted your thoughts....

thanks, Matt.

your ph level is too high for discus fish. discus loves to live 6.5-7 ph level..try to cut your ph down...

your ph level is too high for discus fish. discus loves to live 6.5-7 ph level..try to cut your ph down...

ive had my discus 2 months now and they ahve adapted to my water very well and have had no problems.

my question was - would wild discus adapt as well as the ones i already have?

my current discus are imported and not tank bred in the UK, and were bought from Midland Discus.

Tank bred discus will be ok as you have found but wild caught are in a whole other league, they are far far more sensitive and dont acclimatise quite so readily as tank breds and will more than likely die.

Personally, unless you are setting up a species tank as close to a biotope as possible, i dont think wild caughts re for your average keeper... dont waste your money mate..

Tank bred discus will be ok as you have found but wild caught are in a whole other league, they are far far more sensitive and dont acclimatise quite so readily as tank breds and will more than likely die.

Personally, unless you are setting up a species tank as close to a biotope as possible, i dont think wild caughts re for your average keeper... dont waste your money mate..
this is what i thought, thanks. i think ill stick to all albinos then from midland discus :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back