Wild plant identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wizard Lizard

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I collected some wild plants for my aquarium quite some time ago, made sure they were safe, quarantined, cleaned, ensured no stow aways, ect, and all the plants are doing well, growing and propagating, some of slow. Got some duck weed which is doing fantastic, some tall, soft, leafy plants that are doing good, and another plant thats almost like a java fern has been growing slowley but steadily.
But then theres this dark green plant reminiscent of pine needles with little bumps, it floats around slowly growing little buds of more soft bumpy needles I can't tell if I should wedge it or just let float, it hasn't grown roots or hold fasts, just floats slowly growing buds that turn to needles that don't fully grow like the original plant. I found it in a water way in western Oregon.

Attachments

• 20210204_163507.jpg
    20210204_163507.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210204_163448.jpg
    20210204_163448.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 94
Would make sense, but wouldn't worn wort have grown some roots by now?

I thought they could float but liked to be burried in sand

I have not succeeded in burying Hornwort and keeping it happy. It really gives me the look! Egeria densa (Anacharis) on the other hand, can be planted in the substrate.

Last edited:
Eatyourpeas is correct there are not too many plants with that unique leave whorl with stiff bisected leaves. It looks a bit more robust than the hornwort I remember seeing in aquariums but these two sites show images with similar growth to your pictures.
From the Natural History of Orange County California
From E-Flora BC
Most literature suggests it is mostly a free floating plant, some saying the stem will rot if buried.

It seems like an interesting plant, I will watch for it this spring and maybe add some to my tanks.

It almost looks like Hornwort.
Still learning the quote method...

Ok, I just read somewhere that the stuff likes sand, and where I found it had lots of loose sediment so I connected :p.From where I've read the stuff usually grows pretty fast but mine isn't so idk if I'mdoingsomethingwrong. Also could wedging it loosely in rocks be ok? More out of curiosity than anything but might try it.

I likes light and readily takes nutrients from the water column. If there are not enough nutrients you may want to use fertilizers to supplement their feeding. Do you have any livestock in the tank? Mine grow like crazy and feed off the critter waste, so I do not use any fertilizers. Also, if your tank is very tall, the parts of the plant farthest from the light may turn brown, especially if shaded by the duckweed.

Give it a regular trim and discard the oldest parts.

I got a good amount of fish and snails with a few ghost shrimp so fertilizer shouldn't be the issue and I god decent lights, I'm thinking maybe it's heat as I got a tropical set up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back