FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lilyann

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Getting my first small group of wild, juvenile discus on Tuesday to grow out. :)
They will be about 3 inches in size; type: Red Spotted Greens from Rio Nanay.
Ive had domestics: Asian strains, German Stendker's, and currently have 2 male Alenquers that are F1's. But, never had the opportunity to raise wilds.
Hoping, in this group, will get a pair, or at least get a female to breed with the F1's. A breeding pair is the goal. If I can get 2 that would be exceptional--

Right now Im planning on putting these juveniles ( there are only 3) with the 2 larger males in the 60 gallon tank. From there, Ill see how that works.
I do have contingency plans if this doesn't work. Move them, buy more juveniles, etc...
But, if the 3 could grow out with the larger 2 discus that would be ideal. -- We all know cichlids- all our best laid plans may come to naught ;).

Anyways, Ill start a journal here. Pictures soon!

That is definitely Coolidge Rita. Now please entertain a question from a backwoods bumpkin. How does a person even find out about fish like this and how do you actually acquire them ? And also, I'm assuming they are just a bit on the spendy side, do you get the nervous heebie jeebies pondering how to ensure their survival ? To me, a fish that came from the wilds of South America just recently must be awful stressed by the time you get them.

For Lilyann
Do you plan on quarantining the new fish before adding them to the main tank?
It's usually a good idea if you can.

We used to rearrange the tank just before adding new fish into any cichlid tank (including discus) to help break up the old established territories and give the new fish more chance of finding somewhere to sleep.

--------------------------
How does a person even find out about fish like this and how do you actually acquire them ?
Ask your pet shop if they can get in wild caught fish. Most pet shops get a new wholesale list every 2 weeks and there are hundreds of fishes available to them. However, they usually only carry the more common stuff or things that sell readily. Some shops will actually let you have a look at the list and then you can order in this or that.

Finding wild discus is tough and finding wild discus juveniles is even tougher.
The adult wilds are really expensive and the juveniles are still expensive- but, much more reasonable when you can find them.
It has taken me about 3 months to find some juveniles.

It used to be easier to locate wild South American cichlids ( wild discus included); but, in the last couple years 3 notable long-time vendors closed up shop: Jeff Rapps being the one I am missing most.

Am I a bit nervous getting them? Somewhat. But, Ive been keeping discus for 18 years and kinda know what to expect. Ive never been interested in breeding over this time, though. I just kept them. Now, I no longer want to "keep fish" - I want to breed them. So, I recently acquired an R/O system and am planning on breeding my discus, Altum Angels, geophagus.

For Lilyann
Do you plan on quarantining the new fish before adding them to the main tank?
It's usually a good idea if you can.

We used to rearrange the tank just before adding new fish into any cichlid tank (including discus) to help break up the old established territories and give the new fish more chance of finding somewhere to sleep.

--------------------------

Ask your pet shop if they can get in wild caught fish. Most pet shops get a new wholesale list every 2 weeks and there are hundreds of fishes available to them. However, they usually only carry the more common stuff or things that sell readily. Some shops will actually let you have a look at the list and then you can order in this or that.
Yep, quarantine first definitely.

They are here! The larger of the 3 was pretty stressed-lying on his side in bag. But, the bag had lost some water relative to the others and I think this made a big difference in ammonia accumulation. I wasnt altogether happy with the care that was put into packaging these--- I paid a premium for packaging and shipping Fed-Ex overnight shipping by 10:30 am.
icon_sad.gif
It is just nearly impossible to get wild juvenile discus---)

I decided to do a quick temp acclimation ( 15 minutes) and drop in - not drip acclimate because of the way they looked.

They all went into the water well. The larger one regaining his vigor when he touched the water. They are barred up right now and exploring the tank nervously. Ill take a picture this evening when settle in and can turn on light a bit.

They are juveniles ( and wild!), however, so they dont have the bright coloration that they will when mature... and even when mature will not have the almost carnival-like coloration that some domestics have. But, many of these domestics have been pumped with steroids and specifically bred for color and not health and vigor.

g3EQwrc.jpg

Those are cool. Just the fact that they are wild is totally cool. As an aside: Don't put faith in shipping companies. UPS especially. They are overwhelmed by the massive volume of online buying. Packages are NOT handled carefully. It's all about speed and keeping those cargo jets moving. Your precious package suffers horrors you would not believe.

Omg! ! I’m so jealous lol! I love the discus but don’t have the room for a big enough tank they would need!! Definitely on a wish list for me! Have fun with the new fish

Most reactions

Back