Wild Betta?

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I want to do a betta female tank. I have a thirty gallon tank and I am going to plant it make rock caves.

What is the difference between splendens and wild bettas? Obviously the wild are well... Wild. but what is a splenden?

Also what is a good way basically "glue" rocks together?

You can use regular super glue to glue rocks together. You can use silicon too, but some types are okay for aquariums and some aren't.

Super glue is perfectly safe, and I've used it many times.

I'd go with the aquarium specific silicant to glue the rocks together.

Also, I'd suggest that you use a lot of plant cover including a few floating plants. Bettas are primarily a middle-surface dwelling species and won't spend a lot of time hiding in rocks. They need to come up to the surface to breathe air ocassionally. The plant cover will help reduce agression amongst the females.

Oh and fast as the difference between wild bettas and betta splendens go; betta as a whole refers to the genus of the fish. There are quite a few species of betta in that genus like betta samaridgna, betta bellica, betta imbellica. Betta splendens is just the most popular species that has been selectively bred over the years. Wild betta splendens look considerably different to the bettas we see in the shops today.

Wild bettas are normally not as aggressive (as a whole) but they can be harder to care for depending on species.  Betta splendens as most people know them are the domesticated versions that have been bred to have the wild colors and extended fins.  Wild betta splendens do not come in the wild array of colors or with big flowy fins.  Also if you are wanting to do a sorority tank domestic splendens will "look" much more colorful.  Most wild specie females are not anywhere near as colorful as the domestics.  Alot of the wild species are picker on what they will eat and are much more likely to jump out of the tank.  

I think your cave idea is a good one.  When I had sororities, my females inhabited all levels of my tanks so the caves and hides that I had in there were well used.  Lots of plant cover and floating plants are a good idea as well since anything that breaks up line of sight is best in a sorority.  You can use super glue for your rocks or silicon.  If you do not want to spend the money on the "aquarium" silicon, GE I clear silicon is safe to use in aquariums.  Just make sure it is GE I and not GE II cause the II has mold and mildew inhibitors in it that poison fish and aquatic life.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back