Wild Beta In Community Tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jpat82

Reaction score
So I have a question, how would wild beta do in a community tank? I would love to buy one as I think they are baeutiful fish but I don't want to put a fish in there in it will be injured or injure other fish. The tank is 46gal and currently houses a cory, four danios, two angels, and three mollies. I wouldn't be buying any for a long time because I'm having problems with the tank that are starting to clear up at the moment. I just curious, I heard the wild caught are less aggressive.

Wild species* is what I believe you meant to say, because fighter plakats also occur in the wild due to crossbreeding. It's generally true that wild bettas are less aggressive, but they are also shy often needing places to hide. Their not fond of bottom dwellers or scavengers as wild bettas are territorial. This will cause a huge problem as angels are also territorial. Having two territorial species in one tank, is just asking for a confrontation to happen.
It's advise, even when setting up a wild betta tank to keep it a species tank or mix with other not so aggressive wild bettas. An example would be imbellis and smaragdina, both wild bettas can cohab fine together. The more aggressive of the wild splendens is the mahachai, mahachai are often used to crossbreed with fighter plakats to produce more aggressive fighters.

Thank you for the info, I guess I might have to sneak another aquarium in the house. Heehee

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back