Wife wants a dwarf gourami. Thoughts?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

There's lots of useful stuff in there. I use it a lot as some members use litres and cm while others use gallons and inches so I use both and need to convert.

Be careful on your stocking. 3 honey gouramis will be fine. Maybe 6-8 rummynose tetras?

I wouldn't go for rummy nose Tetra's, I've heard they are very fragile and die on quite a few people. They look lovely though.

I wouldn't go for rummy nose Tetra's, I've heard they are very fragile and die on quite a few people. They look lovely though.
Interesting, I've had 5 golden rummy nose tetras in my other tank for 7 months now and they are fine. Obviously different water parameters. Trying to think of other tetra species you could go with. Maybe cardinals? Black neon tetras? I wouldn't go with neon tetras though. They are susceptible to a disease that only they can get. 2 of my sisters neons have it and one has a deformed lip so can't eat properly and another has a deformed tail. Unfortunately this is an untreatable illness sadly.

Interesting, I've had 5 golden rummy nose tetras in my other tank for 7 months now and they are fine. Obviously different water parameters. Trying to think of other tetra species you could go with. Maybe cardinals? Black neon tetras? I wouldn't go with neon tetras though. They are susceptible to a disease that only they can get. 2 of my sisters neons have it and one has a deformed lip so can't eat properly and another has a deformed tail. Unfortunately this is an untreatable illness sadly.

How mature is your tank? The one you have the rummy nose in. I'm gonna ask my LFS what tetras they have in stock.

There is actually 3 different variants of rummy nose tetras. The true rummy nose is rare, but because of that is super hardy as they haven't been mass bred. They are a pretty sensitive fish to fair.

I LOVE dwarf Gourami. They do die a little more frequently than other fish (most of mine have lasted 1-2 years) but they are by far the most colorful of the live fish. I always get two of the same species, never had a fight just an occaasional bumping around one time by one set of them. Usually its a swim bladder issue that has killed mine.. They use their swim bladder to move themselves up and down, They breath FRESH air, as do Beta's - so they will swim funny or upside down of stay on the bottom if they have swim bladder problems. If they look terribly uncomfortable you should euthanize them. I love them (only the dwarf) the larger version with a couple of exceptions are boring. They have 3 dots on a blue background - big deal. Now the Pearl fish is rather round so they don't look as big as they are - simply gorgeous - their fins look like spotted lace a subtle peach color and never aggressive unlike the other 6-8" gourami. Give it a try.

Most reactions

Back