Why So Many Problems?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I can't figure out why I'm having problems with Riley lately.  His water parameters have been stable.  I change 50% water weekly, he lives in a 10 gallon tank, his temperature is 82F.  It is planted, he has one tankmate which is a small horned nerrite.

But... in the last couple of months he has had two eye problems (same eye, exact same spot)... the most recent one was what lead to his clamping (a recent post of mine).  So, he recovered perfectly from that and.... I noticed a tiny spot of cottony fungus on his dorsal fin!  I have begun treating it using clean water and salt and it has already reduced in size. 

I'm not worried about that, it will get better.  I'm just scratching my head and wondering why he has been having problems lately.  He has never had problems before and I've kept to the same schedule of maintenance and feeding, etc.

Or is this something that just happens sometimes?  Could he be stressed or something?  He doesn't look stressed and I can't think what he would be stressed about if he is stressed at all.

I would normally say that everytime you put your hands in the water for feeding, cleaning or whatnot the smaller the tank the more risk you will give a fish a infection. You can't kill off everything your hands carry and the risk is always there, Of course the bigger the tank the more water and the less likely its to happen.

Other than that, Old age more prone to infections? 

techen said:
I would normally say that everytime you put your hands in the water for feeding, cleaning or whatnot the smaller the tank the more risk you will give a fish a infection. You can't kill off everything your hands carry and the risk is always there, Of course the bigger the tank the more water and the less likely its to happen.

Other than that, Old age more prone to infections? 

I didn't think PrairieSunflower was that old..... ;)

Seriously, Techen is probably right.

After the eye issue and now seeing some other problems, I would treat the tank with an antibacterial medication.  One that is broad spectrum would be good but if you have to choose either one that is for gram negative or gram positive bacteria -- I always lean toward gram negative.

It should be fine for the snail.

I always have my hands in the water.  I wash them first of course using Castile soap, never had a problem.  I often hand feed my fish and pet them, helps to establish a connection to the fish.  They all come to greet me like little puppies.  While it's true, there's a risk of contaminating the tank, I believe that's only if you don't wash your hands.  I have been using Castile soap for the past few years, keeps the hands clean, highly recommend for fish keeping.

I do wash my hands and make sure I haven't used any cleaners or lotions beforehand on the days I clean my tank.  Don't stick my hands in otherwise.

Poor little guy! :(
Depending on what kind of foods he is getting it may be worth soaking his food in garlic juice. Asides from it enticing finicky eaters, it also helps the immune system. As of new I'm feeding New Life Spectrum Betta pellets, these already have garlic in them.

I am currently feeding him Hikari Betta Gold pellets, pre-soaked for about 5 minutes in a cap full of tank water.  He is eating fine and always has.

I have some trouble getting a hold of New Life Spectrum food.  It is what I had been feeding my other fish but am finding it really hit or miss as to whether I can get it when I need it.

I can't see his fungus spot this morning.  BUT... more bad news... he has a tiny black edge on his bottom fin!  Not the whole length just a small portion.

Feels so crazy that he would have these problems when his tank should be in great shape.

Will antibiotics help his fins too?  I'm hoping the salt I have already started adding will help his fin now.  I think I will up it to small daily water changes for now as well.

I will see if I can add a photo of his new fin problem problem in a bit later when I have time.  I think the photo likely won't turn out though as it is a really tiny edge.

Riley's black edge on his tail is no better but at least no worse so the salt must be helping.  I have antibiotics ordered for his tank and they should arrive tomorrow.

I imagine tomorrow can't come soon enough, hope those antibiotics will be just what is needed.  
sorcerer.gif

Hopefully this will stop all the problems from re-occurring.

Anyone else find fish meds hard to come by?  Certain ones seem to be everywhere (like for fungus or white spot and such) but things like antibiotics are nowhere to be seen, thus having to order online.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back