Why my swordtail females moving rapidly their pectoral fins?

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm sure its nothing, no other fish do this or my male swordtail.
Just some rapid movements with their pectorals, not my male swordtail or other fish. I'm doing huge water changes from tommorow to remove medication.

pictures and video?
what are you treating currently, or what were you treating?
how long has the tank been set up for?
What's your water quality like?

She is treating with eSHa ndx, to be followed by eSHa gdex as her fish appear to have worms of some type. These treatments say in the instructions to do a water change on specific days during treatment.

As in this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/white-and-moving-poo-what-to-do.460014/

However, I did not realise that there was ammonia in the water; I had assumed both ammonia and nitrite were zero.

Colin, what should Salty do - continue with the medication timetable and leave ammonia in the water or do a water change to remove the ammonia and disrupt the medication timetable? Normally I would say to do a water change to et rid of ammonia then add enough of the med to replace the amount in the water taken out, but I'm not at all sure with these anti-worm meds and their sepcific timetables.

Last edited:
That's fine. Just because it says to do a water change 24 hours after adding the first dose doesn't mean you are not allowed to do another water change before adding the next dose. So you can do as many water changes as you like between 24 hours after the first dose and before the second.

No idea what the other thread is about and cant be bothered reading anything anymore. But if you are treating fish for intestinal worms, you normally do a huge water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48 hours after treating them. So treat one day and water change the next.

Retreat each week for 3-4 weeks to kill any worms that hatch from eggs in the fish.

Ammonia will kill fish much faster than worms do. Fish can live with intestinal worms for months or even years, but ammonia can kill them in hours.

eSHa ndx says - add a dose, do a water change 24 hours later; add a second dose 14 days after the first and do a water change 24 hours later.

No idea what the other thread is about and cant be bothered reading anything anymore. But if you are treating fish for intestinal worms, you normally do a huge water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48 hours after treating them. So treat one day and water change the next.

Retreat each week for 3-4 weeks to kill any worms that hatch from eggs in the fish.

Ammonia will kill fish much faster than worms do. Fish can live with intestinal worms for months or even years, but ammonia can kill them in hours.
So tell me why my fish are still alive when ammonia is there for weeks?

Most reactions

trending

Back