Why its soooo good to be plain. A plain fish.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Watching the Co-Op's recent trip to the Amazon..reminds me of the Axelrod pics and all other collectors who complained all they found were "Silvery or greenish tetra's we just tossed back into the river". I mean millions of nondescript ( as they called it) fish never had to live in an aquarium..and of course the flashy relatives were seined out.
Nature playing her cards. When man filters himself out- the great filter its called- all the plain Janes of the world of plants and animals can go all out exotic once again. Nice.

Someday when we're all jaded on the neons and cardinals and rainbows, the silvery green and brown and gray splotchy fish will seem exotic and fancy and we'll pay good money for them. Then the trend will reverse and nature will come back into balance. :lol:

I think it's more about the silvery ones all looking so very similar. Even the enthusiastic scientists have trouble distinguishing between species, unless they have access to a microscope.
A Neon Tetra, or a Glowlight, on the other hand...
That said, there are plenty of bright and shiny silver fish in the hobby, it's just that few want a monochrome population in their tank. (I did know a lad who did just that...a relatively dark and tannin-rich tank, with a dark substrate and dark bogwood and a host of silver, or black and silver, fish. It recall it was quite spectacular, when the shoals started schooling).

Thing is, as we now know, you might think you've got a neon tetra, P. innesi and then, under closer examination, it's a wholly different fish and you have a cardinal, P.axelrodi...or even another, P.simulans!

Then, of course, there's Man's insatiable appetite to tinker, because, apparently, to the masses, Nature's beauties are beautiful enough and we have to change the shape of the fish, give them useless flowing fins and bleach the colours out of them in order to be happy. :(

No black n white fish in this house. Ever.

My Mosquito Fish are very plain looking which I suppose when you’re the 7th smallest fish on the planet is advisable. Even in a moderately planted 15G it sometimes takes a few minutes to see any. Best of luck to em.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back