Why is my Pleco so shy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Attenbruh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My small Bristlenose pleco is very shy and won't come out of her cave until the lights out. I have dimmed all the lights, fed her during the day, fed her a verity of vegetables. The only thing I could think it is it the television which is only on for 2-3 hours a night, However it is very close to the tank. Is that the problem or could there be something else, (She is in a 65L tank but I will put her in a bigger one when she gets 1y/o in 2 months). The tank is planted and has many different hiding spots. What could I do? (Also, is there actually a problem?)

Last edited:
BN/Pleco are largely nocturnal. Daytime sleepers, which is why it is advised to feed them after lights are out in the evening

They will venture out and about in daytime hours occasionally but most of the time they are only active in the dark of night

Ok thank you. I have been feeding him during night so thank you for letting me know nothings wrong. :D

What else is in the tank? Plecos live on the bottom and their eyes face upwards. That is from where threats might come. When the pleco pokes it's head out from where it is hiding, if it sees no small fish above, it will often stay hidden. If there are no small fish it may mean there is a predator nearby. But if the smaller fish are out and about, it is likely safe to come out.

Also, as it grows it will learn there are few threats and it is also likely to get bigger than whatever else is in the tank. It will start to come out more often and during the day. Try feeding a bit less and it may be out on the glass, decor or plants rasping the algae.

The other part of this is that plecos are hard wired to hide. If they spot movement they bolt for cover. If they hesitate to try to identify if that movement is or is not a threat, it may discover the answer inside the stomach of something. Usually only the most recent free swimming plecos will come out when they should not. They do not know any better yet. In the wild they have to learn fast or become lunch.

She's hiding because she's so ugly and freaky looking and doesn't want everyone to see her without her make up on

She's hiding because she's so ugly and freaky looking and doesn't want everyone to see her without her make up on
Which is understandable, given how grim she looks with the slap on. :p

The only thing I could think it is it the television which is only on for 2-3 hours a night, However it is very close to the tank.
Noise from the box could be an issue.

My young Bristlenose is wholly active, most of the day and most of the night.
(I think she's a Kinks fan).

Hahahaha. Some people should as well hide in a cave for that reason and even live nocturnal woohahahaha. Noooooo joking of course : Often the nicest people !!!!

I think BN's are beautiful though. There are not many fish that I think are ugly.

I have a BIG 4K HDR10 Samsung tv and Hefty Samsung Surround sound System it’s at the opposite side of the room to the fish and the fish tank has its own little corner where the tv light and sound can’t disturb them I’ve never noticed anything strange whilst I’ve had the tv on

One thing I do is limit the bass output other than that I use the tv as normal

bass on high equals shattered windows and flaking plastering
as I found out before keeping fish

Last edited:
What else is in the tank? Plecos live on the bottom and their eyes face upwards. That is from where threats might come. When the pleco pokes it's head out from where it is hiding, if it sees no small fish above, it will often stay hidden. If there are no small fish it may mean there is a predator nearby. But if the smaller fish are out and about, it is likely safe to come out.

Also, as it grows it will learn there are few threats and it is also likely to get bigger than whatever else is in the tank. It will start to come out more often and during the day. Try feeding a bit less and it may be out on the glass, decor or plants rasping the algae.

The other part of this is that plecos are hard wired to hide. If they spot movement they bolt for cover. If they hesitate to try to identify if that movement is or is not a threat, it may discover the answer inside the stomach of something. Usually only the most recent free swimming plecos will come out when they should not. They do not know any better yet. In the wild they have to learn fast or become lunch.
There is a Mystery Snail and some neon tetras. I will feed her a bit less.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back