Why is my ph always rising in my aquariums?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

katienewbettakeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, Iā€™ve noticed that my ph in my tanks is rising. My tap water is 7.5, and I do weekly 20 percent water changes. Itā€™s not my substrate (fluval stratum, fluorite red, Caribsea sand, and aqua natural gold pearl gravel) the only hard scape I use is driftwood. All my tanks are over 6 months old, I do deep cleanings every 2 months of my filters (shake out sponges in tank water). I have a lot of plants. My lights are left on for 8-12hrs every day. I use Seachem prime conditioner. My 5.5 gal shrimp tank is stocked with shrimp, probably about 40 Iā€™m not sure. My ten gallon has a betta, two nerites, and seven cherry shrimp.

For both tanks, parameters are
0 ammonia
0nitrite
0-3ppm nitrate

Ph for both tanks are 8.0-8.5ā€¦ I did a 20% water change on the 8.0 one just a few days ago

I fertilize the tanks weekly with nilocg thrive.
If u need anymore info lemme know

Does anyone know wth is going on?? The fish and inverts donā€™t seem bothered at all, but I know bettas and cherry shrimp prefer a lower ph than what it is. I canā€™t think of why this happens when ph is supposed to go down over timeā€¦

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 31
So, Iā€™ve noticed that my ph in my tanks is rising. My tap water is 7.5, and I do weekly 20 percent water changes. Itā€™s not my substrate (fluval stratum, fluorite red, Caribsea sand, and aqua natural gold pearl gravel) the only hard scape I use is driftwood. All my tanks are over 6 months old, I do deep cleanings every 2 months of my filters (shake out sponges in tank water). I have a lot of plants. My lights are left on for 8-12hrs every day. I use Seachem prime conditioner. My 5.5 gal shrimp tank is stocked with shrimp, probably about 40 Iā€™m not sure. My ten gallon has a betta, two nerites, and seven cherry shrimp.

0 ammonia
0nitrite
0-3ppm nitrate

Ph for both tanks are 8.0-8.5ā€¦ I did a 20% water change on the 8.0 one just a few days ago

I fertilize the tanks weekly with nilocg thrive.
If u need anymore info lemme know

Does anyone know wth is going on?? The fish and inverts donā€™t seem bothered at all, but I know bettas and cherry shrimp prefer a lower ph than what it is. I canā€™t think of why this happens when ph is supposed to go down over timeā€¦
Some types of rocks and gravel (that are rich in calcium) can increase the ph by slowly dissolving into the water . Furthermore, nitrates and carbon dioxide levels in the water can lower the ph in your aquarium. Plants' absorb nitrates and co2 lowering the overall concentration of them in your tank. The lack of those nutrients causes the ph to raise. These 2 things are very plausible but there might be other reasons. I'd wait for others with more knowledge to reply.

Some types of rocks and gravel (that are rich in calcium) can increase the ph by slowly dissolving into the water . Furthermore, nitrates and carbon dioxide levels in the water can lower the ph in your aquarium. Plants' absorb nitrates and co2 lowering the overall concentration of them in your tank. The lack of those nutrients causes the ph to raise. These 2 things are very plausible but there might be other reasons. I'd wait for others with more knowledge to reply.
Yeah Iā€™ve heard that, Its for sure not the rocks and gravel because most of my substrate is inert aside from the fluval stratum in one tank. Maybe itā€™s the lack of nitrates then? Because I pretty much never have nitrates in my tank lol. My question then is, how do I lower the ph without getting rid of my plants? Iā€™d fertilize more but wouldnt other nutrients in the fertilizer cause an algae bloom?šŸ„² hopefully someone will respond with some answers lol

Last edited:
Yeah Iā€™ve heard that, Its for sure not the rocks and gravel because none of them dissolve in water. Maybe itā€™s the lack of nitrates then? Because I pretty much never have nitrates in my tank lol. My question then is, how do I raise the ph without getting rid of my plants? Iā€™d fertilize more but the other nutrients in the fertilizer would cause an algae bloom šŸ„² hopefully someone will respond with some answers lol
You wouldn't notice the rocks amd gravel getting dissolved because the slow process is pretty much unnoticeable. Very small particles would dissolve (the shape of the rock wouldn't change). I suggest buying fish safe ph buffers and adding them to your tank whenever you see the ph rising up. Or use more fertilisers and increase the frequency of how often you change the water and clean the tank haha

You wouldn't notice the rocks amd gravel getting dissolved because the slow process is pretty much unnoticeable. Very small particles would dissolve (the shape of the rock wouldn't change). I suggest buying fish safe ph buffers and adding them to your tank whenever you see the ph rising up. Or use more fertilisers and increase the frequency of how often you change the water and clean the tank haha
Well I meant that none of the substrates I use raise the ph according to the manufacturers and other fish keepers experiences with them. yeah I might just start fertilizing more and adjust the light to reduce any algae blooms. Or remove the floating plants more often, theyā€™re the main culprits for sucking up nutrients

Yeah just try your best to keep the ph around the 7.5 line.
yeah I might just start fertilizing more and adjust the light to reduce any algae blooms. Or remove the floating plants more often, theyā€™re the main culprits for sucking up nutrients

If that does not work, I recommend using the ph buffers.

It is possible that it could still be your tap water. If you are testing the tap water straight out of the tap the results may very well be inaccurate.

When testing tap water for PH you should put some in a bucket and let it sit for at least 24 hours then test. You may be surprised how much the PH can change after the tap water sits for a day or so. This is not always the case but often is.

PH from the tap can also change due to your water supplier. Most of the year mine will test at ~6.2 but during the summer months it will be over 7 due to the water company raising the PH to prevent leaching from the pipes.

It is possible that it could still be your tap water. If you are testing the tap water straight out of the tap the results may very well be inaccurate.

When testing tap water for PH you should put some in a bucket and let it sit for at least 24 hours then test. You may be surprised how much the PH can change after the tap water sits for a day or so. This is not always the case but often is.

PH from the tap can also change due to your water supplier. Most of the year mine will test at ~6.2 but during the summer months it will be over 7 due to the water company raising the PH to prevent leaching from the pipes.
Yeah when I first got my test kits a couple of years ago, I'd test my tap water for a whole month 3 times a week to see how often it varries haha. The range I got was around 6.6 - 7.9

Yeah Iā€™ve heard that, Its for sure not the rocks and gravel because most of my substrate is inert aside from the fluval stratum in one tank. Maybe itā€™s the lack of nitrates then? Because I pretty much never have nitrates in my tank lol. My question then is, how do I lower the ph without getting rid of my plants? Iā€™d fertilize more but wouldnt other nutrients in the fertilizer cause an algae bloom?šŸ„² hopefully someone will respond with some answers lol
You can put some peat moss in a filter bag and filter through it to lower your tank's ph naturally. I would watch it closely, though, to avoid quick swings.

Thanks!!! I was testing straight out the tap so this helps. Iā€™ll re-test it. If it is my tap water, what should I do in that case? Iā€™m nervous to use ph buffer because I know a swinging ph is worse than a stable high one. Iā€™m prone to forgetting things so remembering to use it every water change may be an issue for me šŸ„² but Iā€™m willing to try if thats the only way

You can put some peat moss in a filter bag and filter through it to lower your tank's ph naturally. I would watch it closely, though, to avoid quick swings.
Might do that, although I feel a bit bad about it for ethical reasons since harvesting peat moss isnā€™t great for the environment šŸ˜“ also I use sponge filters so not sure how to run the water through it

Might do that, although I feel a bit bad about it for ethical reasons since harvesting peat moss isnā€™t great for the environment šŸ˜“ also I use sponge filters so not sure how to run the water through it
90% of the things we use on a daily basis is not good for the environment lol I wouldn't think about it too much.

I do deep cleanings every 2 months of my filters (shake out sponges in tank water). I have a lot of plants. My lights are left on for 8-12hrs every day. I use Seachem prime conditioner. .

0 ammonia
0nitrite
0-3ppm nitrate
My first thought is the infrequent cleaning of your sponges. Every two months is not frequent enough. Try every two weeks. Continue to rinse them in old tank water and gently squeeze them when cleaning. Use a bucket. You will need to rinse/squeeze them several times. I would do that for about a month and see if there is any change. Don't forget to document your testing results. It is easy to forget the results from a month ago. Are your test kits fresh? Check the expiration dates. Personally, I would not manipulate your water with any pH adjusters or whatever. Also, don't forget to quickly remove any dead or dying plant leaves.

Thanks!!! I was testing straight out the tap so this helps. Iā€™ll re-test it. If it is my tap water, what should I do in that case? Iā€™m nervous to use ph buffer because I know a swinging ph is worse than a stable high one. Iā€™m prone to forgetting things so remembering to use it every water change may be an issue for me šŸ„² but Iā€™m willing to try if thats the only way
I don't like using buffers or any other chemicals in a tank other than a conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramines when adding water. Remember that anything you put in the tank the fish breathe in.

While I've never used I have read that peat moss is a viable method but I'd wait to see other input. Off the top of my head, if you use peat, would be to wrap in a fine mesh and place near the input or output of your sponge filtration, not sure which would be better.

My first thought is the infrequent cleaning of your sponges. Every two months is not frequent enough. Try every two weeks. Continue to rinse them in old tank water and gently squeeze them when cleaning. Use a bucket. You will need to rinse/squeeze them several times. I would do that for about a month and see if there is any change. Don't forget to document your testing results. It is easy to forget the results from a month ago. Are your test kits fresh? Check the expiration dates. Personally, I would not manipulate your water with any pH adjusters or whatever. Also, don't forget to quickly remove any dead or dying plant leaves.
Thanks! Iā€™ll do more frequent cleanings as well as increase my fertilizing just in case the low nitrates are contributing. The test kit is new so I know itā€™s correct. I agree about the ā€œbuffersā€, Iā€™m super sceptical about them, esp since Iā€™m relatively new to fishkeeping (less than a year) Iā€™ll test the tap water the day after tomorrow to see if the ph is highā€¦ hopefully itā€™s not bc I wouldnā€™t know what to do lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back