Why is my driftwood STILL oozing tanins?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonatheber

Reaction score
I bought some driftwood at the LFS about 1 1/2 months ago. After I bought it, I proceeded to boil it for at least 5 hours. I have then left it soaking in a bucket of water for the rest of the time, changing the water weekly. It is STILL making the water cloudy, and is still developing a film at the top of the water.

I would like to put the wood in the take but don't want to have the water turn brown. I also worry about what is causing the film on the water.

Should I boil it again? Should I keep it soaking? If so, how long is it likely to take if it is already at least 6 weeks of time in the water? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Driftwood.jpg
    Driftwood.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 36
  • driftwood2.jpg
    driftwood2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 34
I bought some driftwood at the LFS about 1 1/2 months ago. After I bought it, I proceeded to boil it for at least 5 hours. I have then left it soaking in a bucket of water for the rest of the time, changing the water weekly. It is STILL making the water cloudy, and is still developing a film at the top of the water.

I would like to put the wood in the take but don't want to have the water turn brown. I also worry about what is causing the film on the water.

Should I boil it again? Should I keep it soaking? If so, how long is it likely to take if it is already at least 6 weeks of time in the water? Any other suggestions?
I had a similar issue with me driftwood.

it’s hard to tell with your driftwood in the Home Depot buckets.

but I just put it in the tank and regular water changes eventually got the wood to the point where it wasn’t leaching ya one to the point where it was noticeable.

took about 5 weeks with weekly 25% water changes

but I just put it in the tank and regular water changes eventually got the wood to the point where it wasn’t leaching ya one to the point where it was noticeable.

Here it is outside the bucket.

Attachments

• 72B1E889-B88E-4A5E-8A06-C54D80BA4374.jpeg
    72B1E889-B88E-4A5E-8A06-C54D80BA4374.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 41
Yea, that still looks very dark, someone else more knowledgeable might suggest to keep rinsing it in buckets.

I would just add it to the aquarium the cycle start happening and water change out the tannins.

Here it is outside the bucket.
first of all what fish are you keeping, some fish like a higher ph but some like low. i think you should put it in a bucket for a week then change out the water and rinse and repeat until the color is a lighter color.

I don't know why but I did that one.it was the perfect fish cave and I out it in and it may have been the second day and it was super brown. Also I heard that film or pond scum. Can get where it causes the gas exchange to fail also bad

I have had drift wood that has leeched tanins for up to three years. They are harmless and will reduce over time. Just make sure you keep up your water changing routine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back