why is betta not eating and lying on the floor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquarist2020

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my betta is in a bad condition. I feed him fluval bug bites. he's in a 30 gallon community tank.
ph 7.4
ammonia 0
nitite 0
nitrate 5 ppm

Bettas are not suitable for community tanks. He is likely stressed or has been picked on. Even if we can diagnose what is wrong with him....it won't change that bettas are not community fish.

I would recommend getting him his own tank - 5-10 gallons would be perfect. Seed the new filter with media from your current filter and add live plants to try to avoid a fish-in cycle. Make sure he has a heater as well.

Bettas are not suitable for community tanks. He is likely stressed or has been picked on. Even if we can diagnose what is wrong with him....it won't change that bettas are not community fish.

I would recommend getting him his own tank - 5-10 gallons would be perfect. Seed the new filter with media from your current filter and add live plants to try to avoid a fish-in cycle. Make sure he has a heater as well.
Ok thanks will do

Hey guys I moved the betta to a 5 gallon tank and he's just as bad. He was in there for over a week. Any other ways to help. Btw he isn't eating still.

I’ll send a picture I doubt it’s the parameters though. The parameters were perfect in the 30 gallon. I’ll send a picture soon

Here you go

Attachments

• 4CE1660B-5788-4919-9C13-82A86B0850FA.jpeg
    4CE1660B-5788-4919-9C13-82A86B0850FA.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 711CA5F9-181B-4EB2-9AA8-77EE30B404FB.jpeg
    711CA5F9-181B-4EB2-9AA8-77EE30B404FB.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 55
I can't tell anything from the picture. Take some more and check them on your computer. Find a couple that are in focus and show the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see if it helps. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Check the fish to see if its scales are sticking out from the body.
Make sure the water temperature is between 22-28C.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back