Why I never suggest keeping fish in a vase

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, that also depends on what kind of bettas we are talking about. When we talk about bettas, most people think that it's only related to the Betta splendens while there are more betta species that live in different conditions.

I believe the OP is about B splendens.
If any members who have info on other species of bettas which live in nature exclusively with labyrinth fish (i.e. in environment which only supports labyrinth fish) please share what you know. This is the knowledge that we can appreciate.

Reminds me of the time I saw a young couple buying two baby oscars, a cory, and a five gallon tank:blink:
That's CRAZY!
Actually the common pleco was the lucky one as it would have soon out grown the 20 gallon tank I picked up so I re-homed. The cory and tetra were not so lucky. I added more of each as they are shoaling fish but all were killed by a contaminated plant from Petco.

Deep clearing

This kind of deep cleaning is what people who don't know anything about fish keeping do because they think that's the best way to care for a fish. I don't judge people for making rookie mistakes. But if someone decides to take responsibility for a pet, then they should do the research to find out the best way to care for that animal. In this day and age, there is no excuse for being this ignorant of a pet's needs. So while I don't judge people for beginner mistakes, I think it is fair to judge them for not bothering to learn how to avoid those mistakes.
Unfortunately as a child I made the same mistake, I had a 1/2 gallon tank and would shut off the filter at night and hot water/vinegar scrub the tank MONTHLY. I feel awful about my fish, but I was only 10 with limited access to the internet, and my parents didn’t know any better either. 1st betta died from my dad leaving the space heater pointed towards the fish, 2nd died of a fungal infection, and 3rd SOMEHOW lived 4 years after going blind. I can’t bring myself to own bettas again, even if I know how to care for them, I feel too guilty about my past fish.

Difference here is this is a grown adult with internet access We’re talking about. And they have children too. The vase betta was being fed by a TWO year old. No parent should give a literal baby responsibility of a pet. And what’s worse is they refused to change their way even after being given advice of how to care for the fish properly. Worst kind of person to keep pets IMO

There is still a strong view that animals were put here for us to use, and that a Betta is like a cut flower - expendable. Why would you want a fish to live 5 to 7 years? They come in so many colours and they're cheap, relatively - bettas were made to be changed up every few months. It's a common enough view.
It isn't that all people who mistreat animals are uninformed. Many simply don't value other species. It runs deep in how they've been taught.
So sad but true 😓

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back