Why I like photography

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The digital images are great.
The flower blossom about the fir in a previous post is a passion fruit flower.
I will give praise to some of the image makers they have a good eye.

Now let me become the ogre in the room.
As an extinct traditional silver photographer. I do not think taking images with a phone is photography. Photography is capturing light on silver film. Going into a drakroom processing that film, then making a print on light sensitive paper.
Carry a 4x5 inch negative camera in to the world. See the light and making an exposure. That is photography IMHO. This why I quit the profession.
The digital image has an unknown life expectancy. I know my black and white photos will last for over 100 years. Also the dye transfer process to make color photographs will last over 300 yrs. I have a wedding photo of my mother. Dye transfer it's color is just as vivid as the day it was made, its over 85 yrs old.
Look at Ansel Adams, Robert Mapplethorpe, Edward Weston. Jerry Ulsman (sp)
The attached photo was done on a 4x5 in studio, I processed and printed.
I do congratulate the great images.
Please allow me to be other ogre in the room.

While traditional photography is indeed an art, and I so dearly miss printing on Palladium paper, and the lovely sound of an SLR or a medium format camera, it is a prohibitive hobby for most, and a lucky profession for some.

I love the fact that phone cameras have given a voice to people who otherwise would have never thought of capturing a moment that was not family parties. I have embraced the gift of being able to see what so many others see, because when it comes to observing, one is always learning. Not to mention how expensive it is to have a darkroom, and how nasty the chemicals are to the environment.

Traditional photography will always have a place, but let's give the new generation of eyes a warm welcome and encourage them to share more with the rest of the world.

Macro photography is an art form. We use a canon 7d SLR camera body with a 5x Macro lens. All the photos are taken using the manual options on the camera and no photo shopping is done. The only advantage for us over a film camera is the card to store the images rather than film.

Macro photography is an art form. We use a canon 7d SLR camera body with a 5x Macro lens. All the photos are taken using the manual options on the camera and no photo shopping is done. The only advantage for us over a film camera is the card to store the images rather than film.
Aahh, I went for an Olympus because I have small hands and the Canon felt like a tank. They are sweet cameras! I still have my old OM1 and my daughter has my Rolleiflex and Leica. She got the photo genes!

Here is an easy one
011.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back