Why Drill Or Use Overflows?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ryandsimmons

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I did my first wet test of my tank last night after I drilled it, and something struck me. Is there a reason why we don't just throw another pump into the tank to take water to the sump?

There is the risk of the return pump failing I suppose and draining the tank, but that could be combated by making a weir with the drainage pump in it.

I did my first wet test of my tank last night after I drilled it, and something struck me. Is there a reason why we don't just throw another pump into the tank to take water to the sump?

There is the risk of the return pump failing I suppose and draining the tank, but that could be combated by making a weir with the drainage pump in it.
its simple really, you would have to match the flow out exactly with the flow in even if you used two identical pumps the flow from the tank would be assisted by gravity so would flow quicker than the return which would be flowing against gravity thereby giving unequal flow, well thats how i understand it, i may be right, i may be wrong

Dayzofspeed is correct. You could get the same brand of pump claiming the same gph, but they are both going to have slightly different gph anyways. To get the two to synchronize is just about impossible and would likely give you an incredible headache.
Flow by gravity has a stable, constant flow rate, making it much easier.

Also, having one more pump is what it is...having another pump to make more heat, and one more thing to plug in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back