Why don't my cherry barbs school?

CaptainBarnicles

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
There's 7 females and one male (I'd like a few more males) but they're all over the tank instead of with each other, I thought they were a schooling fish? Not that I'm bothered particularly, they obviously feel comfortable enough in their environment to not feel the need to with each other I'm assuming? I do love the schooling behaviour though so I'm a bit sad

AquaBarb

Supporting Member
Tank of the Year!
3x Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Mine have never schooled. Females tend to hang around the middle of the tank while my 4 males all have a corner each

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I had cherry barbs a few years ago and they never schooled in my tank. Like yours, they all went their separate ways.

I notice that Seriously Fish does describe them as schooling, but I wonder if the person who wrote it confuses the words 'schooling' and 'shoaling'? Many people use the word schooling to mean a species which needs to be in a group (ie shoaling) when schooling means swimming together in a co-ordinated manner.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Put a big predatory fish in the tank and they will group up. Without a predator to stress them, they will just hang out in a loose group and live happily ever after.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online