Why does water always turn brown?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

styla12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Don't quite understand why my water always starts turning brownish about 5/6 days after a water change.

I do water changes every week which fixes it, but dont understand the reason for the slight colour change always.

My parameters are pretty much always constant at:

pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

I have drift wood but it's been there for like 2+ months now and I did boil to remove tannins so don't think it's that.

Attached photo of the tank.

Attachments

• 15852525992208059811191083219444.jpg
    15852525992208059811191083219444.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 700
Very nice looking tank, it is your driftwood that is probably turning your water brown like tea. It is call tannins.

Even after boiling and being in the water, some driftwood will still keep releasing tannins. Its mostly cosmetic at least.

Do you use carbon in your filter? It will remove discoloration from driftwood usually

Some people like to have dark water tanks and like the tea looking water. It is a South American Jungle Stream theme with tetras.

Even after boiling and being in the water, some driftwood will still keep releasing tannins. Its mostly cosmetic at least.

Do you use carbon in your filter? It will remove discoloration from driftwood usually
Ah right I see.

No I removed the carbon filter as I wanted a filter media long term rather than one I have to always change. Swapped it out with Seachem Matrix.

I just use those carbon filters to remove medication or discolored water. I add more sponge filters instead in their place. I have a box full of new carbon filters I keep just in case.

I just use those carbon filters to remove medication or discolored water. I add more sponge filters instead in their place. I have a box full of new carbon filters I keep just in case.
Ah yh might be a good idea to have a couple around especially if I have to add medicine. The brown water usually a water change sorts it for me and they're quite quick for me with the python no spill.

I have the Fluval external canister so plenty of sponge media, bio rings and seachem matrix.

Yeah same i keep the carbon for medication too, but if you really hated the tannins you could always keep some in anyways.

Or just let it be.

Tannins can be nice, but its up to how you want the tank.

I am working on a 30 gallon tall, sunken forest themed tank so I may have the tannins dark water but the wife is not wild about having a "dirty water" tank :rolleyes:

I am working on a 30 gallon tall, sunken forest themed tank so I may have the tannins dark water but the wife is not wild about having a "dirty water" tank :rolleyes:
She should look at some nice black water set ups... haha

I tried that and all she said was 'Would you please do it with clean water not dirty" I think she is afraid some one may think she has a dirty house or we do not clean our tanks.:fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back