Why does my Dwarf Gourami look like this?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Itā€™s almost like the skin is being sucked around his organs, his head is even slightly caved in. Whatā€™s going on? Sorry if photos arenā€™t great.

Attachments

• 3533AB99-EB7E-4020-AB1C-C05D372D15B8.jpeg
    3533AB99-EB7E-4020-AB1C-C05D372D15B8.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 625AF2EF-43C7-41A6-9B6D-AF5344737141.jpeg
    625AF2EF-43C7-41A6-9B6D-AF5344737141.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 26
  • 9DCE6E43-509B-42D8-9A89-49EE40DDF97D.jpeg
    9DCE6E43-509B-42D8-9A89-49EE40DDF97D.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 25
Maybe the dreaded dwarf gourami disease, but I'm no expert on fish ailments

I didnā€™t even know this was a thing, but that sounds like exactlynwhat is happening, as one of my gourami mysteriously died the other day. This one must have contracted the disease as well. Iā€™m sad now :(

I didnā€™t even know this was a thing, but that sounds like exactlynwhat is happening, as one of my gourami mysteriously died the other day. This one must have contracted the disease as well. Iā€™m sad now :(
I do know that it is quite common, and quite deadly....sorry

My dwarf gourami starting get very fat looking. He died shortly after. DG disease in my opinion...sadly, it's very common among dwarf gouramis.

How long have you had the fish for?
How long did it take the fish to get skinny like that?

Is the fish still eating well?
What does the fish's poop look like?

If fish lose weight quickly, it is usually an internal protozoan infection.

If they lose weight slowly over a course of months, it can be intestinal worms or gill flukes, or both.

The following link has information on internal protozoan infections and intestinal worms in fish.

How long have you had the fish for?
How long did it take the fish to get skinny like that?

Is the fish still eating well?
What does the fish's poop look like?

If fish lose weight quickly, it is usually an internal protozoan infection.

If they lose weight slowly over a course of months, it can be intestinal worms or gill flukes, or both.

The following link has information on internal protozoan infections and intestinal worms in fish.
I have had four dwarf gourami for about a week, I just got them last saturday.
The fish got skinny like that practically overnight.
He just died yesterday evening, but wasnā€™t eating at all.
It was normal poop, not white like in the article.

I quarantined the other 2 gourami I have, they are doing fine in my 10 gallon and I donā€™t notice anything concerning. So 2 out of my 4 have died, and I still donā€™t know exactly why. All my other species of fish are thriving too so I donā€™t think theyā€™ve been affected.

They have an internal problem of some sort. They would have come in with it and they probably all have it if they came from the same supplier.

You will have to monitor them and keep them away from other fish for a bit and see what happens.

They have an internal problem of some sort. They would have come in with it and they probably all have it if they came from the same supplier.

You will have to monitor them and keep them away from other fish for a bit and see what happens.
I guess you missed it in my reply, the fish is dead now, nothing I can do. But the other 2 gourami I am watching carefully in another tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back