Why Do You Like Fishkeeping?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all!
The other day I was talking to someone at work about my tanks. She said she never understood fish as pets cause you couldn't cuddle with them.
It got me thinking. It would be fun to ask all of you why you like keeping fish.

I love it cause of the challenge and you can always learn more. Plus watching them is fascinating, I have whiled away many hours just watching my fish.

So, why do you like keeping fish?

Well like you I love watching my fish, the way they move through the water is just awesome. As we speak I'm watching two of my tetra play tag and its quite entertaining. I also like that it keeps me busy and keeps my mind off a lot of stuff. I like that everyday I learn something new and my friends think I'm weird because I have such a fascination with fish. My only thing I don't like is its an expensive hobby and is getting close to my car parts haha

I know that feeling Supraman, my colleagues at work think I'm obsessed with fish altho I am now the unofficial fish welfare officer at work after a couple of colleagues killed a tank of fish by ignoring my advice and doing just about everything wrong.
I like watching the fish of course but I also like seeing a tank evolving, watching plants grow, fish breed (I do have platies in one tank so I see that a lot! lol)
I have just got my first betta this week and now I'm already mentally making the space for another betta tank - wahhh! MTS look out here I come!! lol

Loads of advantages to fishkeeping really.
It has been scientifically proven that aquariums lower stress.
Therefore we must assume that:
Aquariums=stress reducers
It has also been scientifically proven that stress makes your life shorter.
Therefore we must assume that:
Aquariums=stress reducers=less stress=live longer
If we want to go further we can:
More aquariums= more stress reducers=less stress=live even longer
If we went long enough than theoretically:
Infinite fish tanks=lots of stress reducers=very little stress=immortal

i love fish, my girlfriend thinks im weird bt she humors it :) i just love how they're so different from humans! the fact they swim still makes me watch for hours at a time. i love building an ecosystem, with plants, fish, inverts and everything. i love how socially complex they are in some cases. i cant wait to put my tetra and rasbora into my 55 gallon so i can see how schoolers interact! i love learning more and more. i just put in some pennywort and i wanna see it grow! my aponogeton just sprouted small flours! theyre beautiful, i just put in 3 water lily bulbs! and on the side i breed guppies so that fun to play with! 

i just watched my swordtail turn around and bump his nose into a rock. he acted just like i do after i hit my head. he was dumbfounded and confused for a second! 

lefty07603 said:
i love fish, my girlfriend thinks im weird bt she humors it :)

i just watched my swordtail turn around and bump his nose into a rock. he acted just like i do after i hit my head. he was dumbfounded and confused for a second! 
Yeah I know those feelings! And then they pretend it never happened or turn to look at the offending object as if it is the object's fault!

I find it relaxing to sit in front of my tank and watch the fish. It's also rewarding to be able to keep them healthy and watch them grow and breed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back