Why do people do this to fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Status
Not open for further replies.
an art teacher can just be understandably ignorant
what i would be really worried about is if a chemistry or biology teacher started keeping fish in a bowl

an art teacher can just be understandably ignorant
what i would be really worried about is if a chemistry or biology teacher started keeping fish in a bowl
The science teacher has a turtle in a tank Iā€™m pretty sure is too small for it. But then again, I donā€™t know turtles. She did save the turtle though. Heā€™s a baby, he was in her backyard without any other turtles, and he only has three legs. His name is Tres.

The science teacher has a turtle in a tank Iā€™m pretty sure is too small for it. But then again, I donā€™t know turtles. She did save the turtle though. Heā€™s a baby, he was in her backyard without any other turtles, and he only has three legs. His name is Tres.
when it comes to turtles, if it looks too small, it's too small.
they're crazy messy, too, so that doubles the need for a bigger tank.
i'm guessing that it's some type of slider or similar because those are most common in backyards.
they really need big tanks, i keep mine in a 75 right now, and from what i understand reading online, they can't be stunted by small tanks, so if she doesn't know they grow big, she'll find out (the hard way) soon.

turtles are very smart animals - notably, i added a few rocks into mine's tank once, and she laid them out in a perfectly straight line on purpose.
it's sad how commonly mistreated they are

Plain and simple, ignorance. She wants to share the fish experience, but has no clue. What is sad, she has no clue that she has no clue. "fish are easy". Until they float.

Most educational establishments have Policies relating to animal welfare. I suspect she will have broken these.
Your school will have a Policy towards pupil welfare...and her abuse of fish is causing you (and maybe some of your school friend) emotional trauma.
This needs to be acted on with all due diligence.

;)
There are definitely no such laws where I live. Fish are specifically excluded from ALL animal cruelty laws and you can treat them however without repercussion.

People catch them from the lakes and just toss them in coolers alive to suffocate etc. They are often gutted before they are beheaded so are ALIVE when it is done etc. No laws against any of it.

So in a situation like this where I live - you may be able to CONVICE them with some reasoning, but you cannot take any type of legal action whatsoever as there are no laws to protect fish or govern their treatment.

There are definitely no such laws where I live. Fish are specifically excluded from ALL animal cruelty laws and you can treat them however without repercussion.

People catch them from the lakes and just toss them in coolers alive to suffocate etc. They are often gutted before they are beheaded so are ALIVE when it is done etc. No laws against any of it.

So in a situation like this where I live - you may be able to CONVICE them with some reasoning, but you cannot take any type of legal action whatsoever as there are no laws to protect fish or govern their treatment.
...And pupil welfare?

...And pupil welfare?
You'd be hard pressed to try and use that defense but I guess you could try. Areas that aren't that "nice" have little care for these types of things. Students fight daily etc. The last thing administration would be concerned about is something on this scale. A student being upset about the treatment of a fish would sooner be laughed at than actually addressed.

Ok I asked her when she was gonna put the betta in there. She said she was going to put A tetra in there. She must have seen the look on my face because she asked me if that was ok. I told her bettas need at least five gallons and if she put the betta in there its colors would be much brighter. She said ok and sheā€™s gonna put the betta in there when the water clears. Yay!

Ok I asked her when she was gonna put the betta in there. She said she was going to put A tetra in there. She must have seen the look on my face because she asked me if that was ok. I told her bettas need at least five gallons and if she put the betta in there its colors would be much brighter. She said ok and sheā€™s gonna put the betta in there when the water clears. Yay!
Yay indeedy. Now you need to let her know that tetras need company. ;)

Good she was able to be convinced to do better. Doesn't always turn out this way.

Hi everyone!
So, my art teacher has a betta in a bowl. I brought her a nice five gallon for said betta. I learned today that sheā€™s keeping the betta in the bowl and getting ā€œa few goldfishā€ for the five gallon. Whyyyy?
Ignorance.
Refusal to make the least effort.
This motto I dislike 'it is just a (expendable) fish.

Aaand something bad happened. I went into her classroom and noticed the betta was STILL in the bowl. Then I noticed two neon tetras in the five gallon. Apparently sheā€™s getting a snail in two weeks as well. She also said sheā€™s going to get a hermit crab. One of my friends told her hermit crabs require at least 40 gallons, and her response was, ā€œwell Iā€™m not going to get it for a while.ā€ Iā€™m done trying to help her. I bought her a tank, decorations, sand, a heater, a filter, etc. I set it up for her. I TOLD her bettas need at least 5 gallons and I bought it for the betta. She just didnā€™t listen. So she can do what she wants, itā€™s obvious she wonā€™t listen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back