Why Did My One Of My Pygmy Corydoras Die?

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I need to find out what caused my pygmy's death.

Info:

12 gall tank
1 betta
11 (now 10) pygmy corydoras
a few snails about

well planted
daily liquid co2

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm
Temp - 26 celsius

I feel terrible that he/she died, I suppose it is part of fishkeeping but I felt terrible fishing the little guy out. I buried him in one of our pot plants.

I have a hunch it may be starvation. 
I was at first feeding them every night but it seemed like overkill. So then I'd feed them every few days. And I think it may have been a week at a time without feeding them at one point.
Now I am back to feeding every 1-2 days.
They seemed a lot more active in the past, and I guess it's probably coz I used to feed them more.
I put a sinking wafer in just now and they are nomming it, which is odd, because the reason I stopped feeding them so much is because I NEVER SAW THEM EAT! 

Please help, sorry for the rambling... I am just feeling bad for the little dude

May I ask how long you have had the cories?? I ask bc sometimes they can take a bit to adjust to a new feeding schedule.

A week is far too long for any fish to go without eating. Feeding 2 times a day is best.  I would say he died of starvation as well.

If i could offer some advice, I have a 10g betta tank with black venezuelan cories, and I don't see them eat either. At first, I found it odd and thought something was wrong, but then I realized that it is bc of the betta. While he is okay sharing the tank with them, they still won't come near him if there is food about! I'm guessing he flared at them over dinner once. My solution- I drop the cory food in before lights come on, then again once lights go out. Cories are naturally nocturnal fish as it is, so if you're having feeding issues, it's always a good idea to feed them at night, bc that's when they'll be looking for food.  This method does require a bit more work, as I still have to feed my betta as well while the lights are on, but it's been successful for me. Hope this helps!

Also, if you're using a regular sized sinking pellet, it might just be too large for them. I have dwarf cories in my 60g, and the only time they'll eat a reg. sized pellet is if it's been sitting long enough to get soft. They make micro pellets, you might want to try those. If that's not an option for you, maybe try soaking the pellets (in tank water, not tap!) before feeding.  Bettas are piggies so the pellets probably don't last long enough in the tank to get soft.

Hope you find a solution, there's something about tiny cories dying that's very sad, I know the feeling. Chin up!

I agree with your thought. They are a delicate creature to begin with, eat smaller foods and need a mixed diet. They are tiny fish. The runt will frequently die. I find that daphnia is a good small food, baby brine, or mini-bloodworms, all work to supplement them. I've got 10 in my tank right now and that's the food course I give them and then they graze the rest of the time. Daily feeding though.

^Agreed. Variety is very important with any cory. I will admit it is extremely hard for me to get any type of frozen treat to my cories bc of my betta. I'm thinking that might be an issue here too.

greenmumma141 said:
May I ask how long you have had the cories?? I ask bc sometimes they can take a bit to adjust to a new feeding schedule.

A week is far too long for any fish to go without eating. Feeding 2 times a day is best.  I would say he died of starvation as well.

If i could offer some advice, I have a 10g betta tank with black venezuelan cories, and I don't see them eat either. At first, I found it odd and thought something was wrong, but then I realized that it is bc of the betta. While he is okay sharing the tank with them, they still won't come near him if there is food about! I'm guessing he flared at them over dinner once. My solution- I drop the cory food in before lights come on, then again once lights go out. Cories are naturally nocturnal fish as it is, so if you're having feeding issues, it's always a good idea to feed them at night, bc that's when they'll be looking for food.  This method does require a bit more work, as I still have to feed my betta as well while the lights are on, but it's been successful for me. Hope this helps!

Also, if you're using a regular sized sinking pellet, it might just be too large for them. I have dwarf cories in my 60g, and the only time they'll eat a reg. sized pellet is if it's been sitting long enough to get soft. They make micro pellets, you might want to try those. If that's not an option for you, maybe try soaking the pellets (in tank water, not tap!) before feeding.  Bettas are piggies so the pellets probably don't last long enough in the tank to get soft.

Hope you find a solution, there's something about tiny cories dying that's very sad, I know the feeling. Chin up!

Hm, I've had the cories about 3 months now I'd say? At least. They aren't new in any sense.

Thanks for the advice. What I have done in the past is put the betta in a breeder box whilst they eat, and as we speak I am doing that. It seems to be working well.
They are feeding on a regular pellet, it seems soft as it's dissolved for a little while. I have micro pellets but they don't seem to go for those! :/

Thank you dear, it is very sad, such a tiny, helpless thing :(
tcamos said:
I agree with your thought. They are a delicate creature to begin with, eat smaller foods and need a mixed diet. They are tiny fish. The runt will frequently die. I find that daphnia is a good small food, baby brine, or mini-bloodworms, all work to supplement them. I've got 10 in my tank right now and that's the food course I give them and then they graze the rest of the time. Daily feeding though.

Delicate is for sure.
Though my inconsistent feeding obviously didn't help 
no.gif

I will feed them daily from now on! 
Erg it feels so bad knowing I could have easily prevented it.
greenmumma141 said:
^Agreed. Variety is very important with any cory. I will admit it is extremely hard for me to get any type of frozen treat to my cories bc of my betta. I'm thinking that might be an issue here too.

I did chuck some frozen blood worms in tonight too.
Betta in the breeder box whilst they feed is the only way to go I reckon! 
Greedy little piggies!

I'm having issues feeding my cories as well, My tetras go crazy for all the food and leave little to nothing for them.
They even go for the pellet I sink to the cories.

To make sure my cories get food, I use a syringe and a bit of plastic pipe that came with my cleaning kit, simply squirt the food down the tube, holding it a few centimetres off the bottom.

When I see my cories shuffling about the substrate, I notice that whenever they ate something, they would stop for a minute before moving again as if they were chewing it up. I also feed twice a day, I use micro pellets and flakes. They really love blackworms but since my LFS shut down I havent been able to find another reliable source of them.

You know, I realised that I was feeding them I think enough for them to *just* survive (and I won't keep doing that now I know that I should be feeding them more), but it seems that they just weren't eating the micro pellets!
The sinking wafers they are going for now which is so relieving to see!

A varied diet is always good for fish! Congratz that you figured it out. (And throw in some worms if you can.)

Corys need a high protein diet, pygmys can be fussy eaters to start with until they settle in.
Cyclops, baby brine shrimp, mini bloodworms etc, live or frozen at least 4/5 times a week plus a good quality catfish small pellet on the other days.
If your other fish are greedy drop the food in around 10 mins after lights out, that should give the corys a chance to get it, you can use a turkey baster to get it to the bottom quickly

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back