Why Did My Nitrate Spike?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have had my tank for 3 years now and today my nitrate spiked for the first time ever.

I did a water change and test yesterday and everything was fine but today the nitrate had spiked by the end of the day. I did do some work in the tank today.

I planted 9 new plants so did disturb the sand a lot could that have caused the spike.
I also removed the old heater as it was not working and replaced it with a new one.
I removed a big rock and replaced it with a new one could that have caused the spike.
I added plant fertiliser to the tank for the first time ever today. Could that have caused the spike.

I added 10 cherry shrimp to the tank which is a 70 litre and only contains 6 6 week old kribensis fry.

I have done a 50% water change and am going to re test the water.
I would love to know why this happened thanks for your help from To

It would be helpful to know the numbers, i.e., what nitrate has been (and is this normally consistent from week to week), and what was the increase.

Except for the heater replacement, the other mentioned actions could increase nitrate.  Some would take longer, others less.

I always do tank work (planting if significant, re-arranging wood or rock) as I am doing (or just prior to) the water change so that the actual fresh water is added after all the work and the resulting "dirty" water has been removed.  This should help restore stability quicker.

Byron.

"I added plant fertiliser to the tank for the first time ever today."  What kind of fertilizer, does it contain nitrogen?  Is it a fertilizer for potted plants or is it a fertilizer made for Aquariums?

The normal level of nitrates in my tank is around 10ppm but it rose to just over 40ppm yesterday. The tank has sat at 10ppm it's whole life especially as that's what the tap water comes out as.

The fertiliser is a special aquarium fertiliser from JBL. It's called ferropol 24 and the packaging says it containes no nitrates or phosphates.

The kribensis fry in the tank are doing fine but my new purchased shrimp just sit in the top corners of my tank do you know why this would happen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 63
I have no experience with shrimp, but I would suggest that something seems to be amiss in the water.

A nitrate increase from 10 ppm to 40 ppm is indeed significant, particularly when so suddenly after so long.  I would do several water changes to get the nitrate down to 10 ppm.

Do you have other test results?  GH and pH.  Ammonia, nitrite too.

Edit:  I came across your other two threads after typing the above.  No need to answer the test questions, the numbers in the other threads are fine.  And the advice others are giving re the shrimp seem to answer that question.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back