Why Did Both Tanks Start Clouding Up At Almost The Same Time? Advice?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Starletta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum and need some advice. I have 2 - 10 gallon tanks that I purchased this spring from PETCO. Both have Aqueon filters which have kept the water crystal clear up until recently. :(

First tank: has 5 small Tetras, 1 small male Platy, and 1 Algae eater. My bottom feeder guy was dead this morning. :( He normally sat at the bottom, but yesterday was midway up in the tank, swimming in place. I knew something was wrong. Very odd that he was *swimming*, yet, in place.
This was also the tank that clouded up first, about 2 weeks ago.

Second tank: 2 Adult female platys, 1 juvenile female platy and an algae eater.
This tank started clouding up about a week after the other tank. I've also observed my female Platy swimming in place, occasionally.

The only thing I've done differently in the past month or so, was to purchase Algae eaters.
Ammonia levels are fine. I do water changes as instructed. Throw in a bit of Aquarium salt.

Looking very closely, the cloudiness appears to look like very, very fine white granules floating in the water. Almost microscopic. One of my Platys had a bit of Ick, which I treated with Coppersafe well over a month ago. Also treated the other tank as a precaution and have done 25 percent water change since.

Could the new Algae eaters be ruining the natural Bacteria???? Both tanks were crystal clear. Edited to add: The Tetras have looked thinner lately.

Thank you for any advice.... I'm at a loss. Or something simple as needing new filters?

how often do you clean your filters and/or change the media?

describe this process in detail

I rinse the cartridges out quite often. Sometimes two to three times a week. If it makes any difference, we have Well water, not City water. I'll use the same filter cartridges until they look worn. Perhaps every few weeks. But, again, I do rinse them several times a week. I've been doing this since getting the tanks in the Spring. I'm stumped as to why they are suddenly clouding up with very, very fine white particles. I edited my original post. My Tetras have been looking thinner also.

Thank you.

Try giving the filters a clean in tank water.

Wouldn't this just cloud up the water further? Sorry, this is new to me.

You shouldn't need to rinse your filters that often.

How do you rinse them? Are you rinsing them in old tank water or in tap water? If in tap water, chances are you are killing your good bacteria and currently experiencing a bacteria bloom. You only need to clean your sponges when it is getting a build up of muck, and only squeeze it in a bowl of old tank water). The casing of your filter can be cleaned thoroughly since it doesn't hold the bacteria.

It sounds to me like the ich treatment or perhaps misguided filter maintenance has killed off some or all of the bacteria in your filters and you are effectively in the process of a fish in cycle. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom.

You need to test for not only ammonia but also nitrite and ideally nitrate.

As an immediate measure you need to change out at least 80% of your tanks water remembering to dechlorinate and temperature match the water you put back in.

Edit: Considering you are using well water, you do need to be testing for Nitrate.

You really should only ever replace the foam cartridges when they fall apart which is probably never.

Also, perhaps a water change using the well water might be a bad idea at this point, it could be a contaminant in the well water causing you problems. We aren't going to know until you can complete tests.

I rinse the cartridges out quite often. Sometimes two to three times a week. If it makes any difference, we have Well water, not City water. I'll use the same filter cartridges until they look worn. Perhaps every few weeks. But, again, I do rinse them several times a week. I've been doing this since getting the tanks in the Spring. I'm stumped as to why they are suddenly clouding up with very, very fine white particles. I edited my original post. My Tetras have been looking thinner also.

Thank you.

you are killing and removing all the bacteria in your filter media, thats your problem,

rinse the media once a week at most, and you need to be gentle with the media and rinse it with tank water preferably,

seeing as your on well water you COULD rinse the media under the tap water, but you need to make sure the tap water is the SAME TEMPERATURE as the tank water,

if your rinsing under freezing cold, or boiling hot water, you are killing the bacteria,

NEVER replace ALL of the filter media at one time, this will remove all the bacteria, not a good thing, alternate when you replace the media sections, they dont need to be replaced that often,

what type of media are you using in the filter?

It sounds to me like the ich treatment or perhaps misguided filter maintenance has killed off some or all of the bacteria in your filters and you are effectively in the process of a fish in cycle. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom.

You need to test for not only ammonia but also nitrite and ideally nitrate.

As an immediate measure you need to change out at least 80% of your tanks water remembering to dechlorinate and temperature match the water you put back in.

Edit: Considering you are using well water, you do need to be testing for Nitrate.

You really should only ever replace the foam cartridges when they fall apart which is probably never.

Also, perhaps a water change using the well water might be a bad idea at this point, it could be a contaminant in the well water causing you problems. We aren't going to know until you can complete tests.

These are the filter cartridges I use: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/medium-cartridge.htm

Very good point about the Ich treatment. It would make sense, as I treated both tanks.
I have a API Ammonia test kit: http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=69
But, not a kit for Nitrate. The Ammonia tested at: 0 ppm (mg/L)

Thank you.

you are killing and removing all the bacteria in your filter media, thats your problem,

rinse the media once a week at most, and you need to be gentle with the media and rinse it with tank water preferably,

seeing as your on well water you COULD rinse the media under the tap water, but you need to make sure the tap water is the SAME TEMPERATURE as the tank water,

if your rinsing under freezing cold, or boiling hot water, you are killing the bacteria,

NEVER replace ALL of the filter media at one time, this will remove all the bacteria, not a good thing, alternate when you replace the media sections, they dont need to be replaced that often,

what type of media are you using in the filter?

Sorry to ask another question... But what what is "Filter media" ?

And would all the answers given, be the reason my bottom feeder was swimming *in place* and eventually died? My Platy was doing it about a week ago and at this moment she is normal.

The parts inside the filter like the sponges, this is where the bacteria lives to transform Ammonia to Nitrites and Nitrates.

Ah, you have a HOB (Hang on Back) filter.

Those filter cartridges are filter floss and carbon. It is good to replace these frequently however,
1. Those cartridges should be removed when dosing with ANY medication, the carbon will absorb the medication and make it ineffective. Carbon is usually only installed inside a filter AFTER a medication period has finished and the medication needs removing or you have tanins from wood you want to remove.

2. Carbon is not really needed in a stable system so this filter cartridge could probably be done away with and replaced with a long term solution perhaps Seachem Matrix which is a loose filter media or something similar or even a filter sponge cut to size to fit. Filter floss can be purchased separately and can be installed somewhere inside the filter to help 'polish' the water and can be replaced every few weeks. Care would have to be taken so the HOB does not overflow with water. The replacement media would need cleaning (or filter wool replacing) in removed tank water when a reduction of flow is recognised.

The biological part of the filter (If you are using the cartridges above) is the plastic holster and the wet and dry plastic bit. If you have over-cleaned these or subjected them to almost any medication then the good bacteria will have died off. Replacing the carbon filter cartridge with Matrix would increase the biological filtration.

Someone with more experience of these HOB filters might be able to help further with media selection.

You need a test kit for Ammonia, Nitr i te and Nitr A te. The liquid API kits are pretty good.

Your reading for Ammonia and Nitrite should be zero and Nitrate are usually not above 40ppm although with yours being well water it might be higher. Once you have a reading for your Nitrate from your well water post it on here if it is higher than 40ppm to get advice on what to do. If I were you I would be testing for Nitrate at least monthly too.

There are lots of fact sheets etc. about the Nitrogen cycle so I won't go into that here.

I suspect your well water is OK but of course cannot guarantee it.

And would all the answers given, be the reason my bottom feeder was swimming *in place* and eventually died? My Platy was doing it about a week ago and at this moment she is normal.

Yes, the symptoms you have described and the death that followed are due to the fish being poisoned by their own waste. Ammonia and Nitrite are deadly.

Ah, you have a HOB (Hang on Back) filter.

Those filter cartridges are filter floss and carbon. It is good to replace these frequently however,
1. Those cartridges should be removed when dosing with ANY medication, the carbon will absorb the medication and make it ineffective. Carbon is usually only installed inside a filter AFTER a medication period has finished and the medication needs removing or you have tanins from wood you want to remove.

2. Carbon is not really needed in a stable system so this filter cartridge could probably be done away with and replaced with a long term solution perhaps Seachem Matrix which is a loose filter media or something similar or even a filter sponge cut to size to fit. Filter floss can be purchased separately and can be installed somewhere inside the filter to help 'polish' the water and can be replaced every few weeks. Care would have to be taken so the HOB does not overflow with water. The replacement media would need cleaning (or filter wool replacing) in removed tank water when a reduction of flow is recognised.

The biological part of the filter (If you are using the cartridges above) is the plastic holster and the wet and dry plastic bit. If you have over-cleaned these or subjected them to almost any medication then the good bacteria will have died off. Replacing the carbon filter cartridge with Matrix would increase the biological filtration.

Someone with more experience of these HOB filters might be able to help further with media selection.

You need a test kit for Ammonia, Nitr i te and Nitr A te. The liquid API kits are pretty good.

Your reading for Ammonia and Nitrite should be zero and Nitrate are usually not above 40ppm although with yours being well water it might be higher. Once you have a reading for your Nitrate from your well water post it on here if it is higher than 40ppm to get advice on what to do. If I were you I would be testing for Nitrate at least monthly too.

There are lots of fact sheets etc. about the Nitrogen cycle so I won't go into that here.

I suspect your well water is OK but of course cannot guarantee it.

Thank you PJPJ,
I did use the Filter Floss while treating for Ich. I didn't realize that it can be used permanently. Thanks for the tip! I have some left over, so I'll switch it over now. Also, will pick up a Nitrate test kit.
Someone also recommended a water change. Opinion?? Thank you again.

Yes, the symptoms you have described and the death that followed are due to the fish being poisoned by their own waste. Ammonia and Nitrite are deadly.

Thank you - I'll definitely pick up a Nitrate test kit tomorrow. I tested for Ammonia and that was fine.

To make it clear, there are three (3) test kits you require right now.

1 Ammonia (You already have this)
2 Nitr I te (With an I)
3 Nitr A te (With an A)

Thanks, I'll be sure to pick up those specific kits. I bought the fish in the Spring and it's amazing how attached one can get to them. The Platys certainly have personalities. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back